Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member intro - and looking for a car

Hi all,

Quick intro - over the last 25 years I've owned/hillclimbed/raced Imps, Ginettas, Davrians and did a bit of trialling with a Beetle a long time ago. My late father owned a Marlin around 1998-2001 (I'll try to find a photo to check the reg) and did a few MCC trials with it.

Starting to get the urge to go trialling again I've just joined the club although I've never owned a Marlin - but I hope to change that soon. I marshalled on the Edinburgh trial almost every year from 1981 (10 year old helping father...) to around 2004 and remember seeing Marlins regularly right from the marque's earliest days, always loved them.

My father's car was marina based and I remember it drove pretty well although the steering seemed to lack a bit of self-centring - too little castor perhaps? I'd prefer an earlier car, maybe Triumph based, and I see that YTB 432 is on Car and Classic and noticed an extensive thread on here from the person who rebuilt it and then sold it on. Seems a little pricy and would need some trials prep, but I'm tempted... Frustratingly the current seller hasn't answered my email request for more pictures, I wondered if they're a club member?

Any info on this car or any others for sale would be much appreciated.

Look forward to keeping in touch and (possibly...) becoming a fellow owner!

Cheers

Gerry

Re: New member intro - and looking for a car

Welcome to the club Jerry, I’m sure someone will be able to point you to a good car.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

welcome to the club

Comment

Welcome Gerry

Email me (address in Pitstop)

I was the rebuilder of YTB

Rgds Dave Cunnington

Comment

If your ambition is trialling you will most likely have to rule out a Triumph based car unless you limit yourself to PCTs. The rear diff / suspension is nowhere near strong enough, even the stock Marina stuff is a bit weak hence the use of Marina pickup / van axles and suspension.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes and initial advice. Yes, I should have realised the Triumph rear end would be too weak. Will look for a mk2 with Ford or BMC power and see how we get on!

Comment

Working...
            X