• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 928CDU update !

Hi all,
    A quick update on 928CDU (pictured) ..

54D42A32-A167-43E8-BF68-91AEF1354822.jpeg

She’s currently SORNED , awaiting a new front stub axle and an MOT (in that order !) .. doubt it will happen anytime soon, need to prioritise other things. December this year will be able to class it as historic, which will be motivation for sure. Maybe a Boxing Day run ! To get my roadster fix, I’ve bought an MX5.. the Marlin is going nowhere and still occupies the garage 😉.. hope you all ok and looking forward to more freedom from Monday onwards .. take care .. Rich
    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Re: 928CDU update !

An atmospheric picture which shows what a great long term rebuild you are doing (LoL)

Good luck with the bits etc

Stay well young Richard

Best DC

Comment

What's wrong with the stub axle?
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thanks DC .. I’m doing my best ! Although missing the annual Stoneleigh fix for sure ...

Comment

Hi Andy,
          Stub axle is worn slightly oval. Meaning after changing for new wheel bearings still a lot of play vertically where horizontally it’s just about right.
          Cheers .. Rich

Comment

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
            Hi Andy,
            Stub axle is worn slightly oval. Meaning after changing for new wheel bearings still a lot of play vertically where horizontally it’s just about right.
            Cheers .. Rich
            I've had the same problem. I centre punched the top of the stub axle and used bearing seal to stop it spinning and it seems to be working just fine. If you can get some stub axles made I would be interested.
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi Andy,
              It’s triumph front suspension, so I can just buy some .. I’ll need to get the old one out via a local garages hydraulic press though I think. Cheers..Rich

Comment

Anyone had experience of Historic classification? Reading from the govt website it appears I can turn up at a post office with form v112 pre printed and completed .. category R Selected .. 40 years old and not substantially modified ? Does it take long ?

http://https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/apply-for-vehicle-tax-exemption

Comment

As I understand the rules you cannot claim exemption from MOT (V112) for a kit car unless it is already registered as Historic so you will need a valid MOT certificate.

Comment

I did mine and my post office sent the V5 off for me and I got it back within 2 weeks but that was pre-covid.

It was then classed as Historic.

You will need a valid MOT when you apply.

Once you have your V5 back you can then be Tax Free from the date your existing tax disc runs out, mine only had a month left on it.

Note you will still have to go onto the DVLA site every year to declare your car is tax free.

From that point, if you wish, you can then declare you car as MOT free but I don't, I get mine MOT'd each year.

Hope this helps.

Adrian

Originally posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
                    As I understand the rules you cannot claim exemption from MOT (V112) for a kit car unless it is already registered as Historic so you will need a valid MOT certificate.

Comment

Thanks all ..noted .. I’ll get an MOT first then apply 👍

Comment

Classic status and stub axles aside for a moment, the colour is spot on for a Marlin! 22 years ago when I bought mine the only thing I was not too sure about was the colour scheme but I knew I could do something about that in due course. That’s never happened, too busy enjoying the car but if I did I would be asking you for a colour match.
                        Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Regarding historic status it happened automatically for me with my old Roadster which had the original registration from the Marina donor. I had payed my vehicle tax as normal and a few days later got a letter from the DVLA saying that my car was now classified as historic and my tax was refunded. I still continued to get it MOT’d though.

Comment

Thats reassuring ggrum , that's what I was hoping would happen !

Comment

I waited but nothing from the DVLA and therefore went to the post office.

Adrian

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
                              Regarding historic status it happened automatically for me with my old Roadster which had the original registration from the Marina donor. I had payed my vehicle tax as normal and a few days later got a letter from the DVLA saying that my car was now classified as historic and my tax was refunded. I still continued to get it MOT’d though.

Comment

Working...
                              X