Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Sportster hood / frame

Hello,

I own an early Marlin built Ford suspension / BMW engine Sportster with the drivers side roll hoop. The car did originally have a hood, and there are two 19mm dia. sockets for a hood frame either side of the body tub in front of the roll hoop, but unfortunately frame and hood were mislaid before i purchased the car. Lack of a hood is restricting my use, and with Marlin not able to supply, i think i'm going to have to get one made.

Would anyone with a similar car be able to share sketches/photo's of their hood, frame, windscreen fastenings etc.. I suspect its too much to hope that someone on here has been down the same route and can recommend a company, but if that information exists as well then i'd be grateful for contact details. Obviously if anyone has a hood they no longer need, i'd certainly make an offer for it.

Thanks,

Andrew
    Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
    Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
    Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
    Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Re: Early Sportster hood / frame

Andrew I am taking covers off in the morning will see what can be done

Comment

Originally posted by stevepritch View Post
      Andrew I am taking covers off in the morning will see what can be done
      Thanks very much - any information appreciated
      Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
      Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
      Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

Andrew send me an email, easier to send images. [email protected]. I am in Tamworth if you are within travelling distance. I had my hood made by All Wheel Trim near Oxford

Comment

IMG_20210425_125956017_HDR.jpg

Comment

IMG_20210425_130336342_HDR.jpg

Comment

IMG_20210425_130002435.jpg

Comment

IMG_20210425_130033602_HDR.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by stevepritch View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]12307[/ATTACH]
                  frame width

Comment

IMG_20210425_130143926.jpg

Comment

I’ve been wondering where my green tape measure went...
                      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

As Marlin is supposed to be starting up again , it may be that you can get a hood through them in the near future as they surely have the pattern.
                        Going and having one made bespoke as Steve did will likely cost a small fortune.
                        Personally I would do as my friend did - take out the roll bar , then modify a Triumph Spitfire frame and hood. Better visibility and doesn't look like a barn door when erected.

Comment

THanks Stevepritch for the photo's and thanks for the other replies. Now torn between having a go at a hoop myself and seeing if Marlin are a possibility. I don't really want to lose the roll hoop, so i think the Spitfire option is out though.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                            As Marlin is supposed to be starting up again , it may be that you can get a hood through them in the near future as they surely have the pattern.
                            Going and having one made bespoke as Steve did will likely cost a small fortune.
                            Personally I would do as my friend did - take out the roll bar , then modify a Triumph Spitfire frame and hood. Better visibility and doesn't look like a barn door when erected.
                            it's not cheap 😂

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                              I’ve been wondering where my green tape measure went...
                              drop by and collect it 🤣

Comment

Working...
                              X