A barely started Berlinetta kit in Scotland, V6 2.3 auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A barely started Berlinetta kit in Scotland, V6 2.3 auto

Time warp : A fabulous spares source, however to put it on the road I believe IVA could prove very difficult

Attached Files
    Last edited by dcunn; 10-04-21, 07:25 AM.

Re: A barely started Berlinetta kit in Scotland, V6 2.3 auto

Just saw that and came here to post it, yes a rare source of good spares. First time I've seen how the front subframe bolts to the chassis.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Danny Nelson says the problem is the incorrect (compared to Cortina) fitting of the front cross-member. I don't understand why no one seems to have made an IVA acceptable replacement or have they? I always liked the Berli the hardtop is lovely. If I were younger I would go for that one.

Comment

Merlins had solved problem by using some extra steelwork on the front of the chassis which bolted to the front of the crossmember. This would mean altering the bonnet sides to fit it in but I don't suppose any of them went through IVA either as they were built long ago. Our Sierra Berlinetta has been on the road 30 years and the Cortina versions are even older. They were only ever designed to pass an MOT. Doug

Comment

Looking closely at the front cross member, I'm not surprised the DVLA don't like it. I know it has stood the test of time but it does look a bit flimsy. My LocUst uses cortina front suspension parts but the mountings are part of the chassis. I still fancy it, must go and lie down in a dark room!

Comment

It needs someone brave to buy it and find out what modifications would be required for it to pass IVA. Seems a shame that this could be built up and deemed unsafe, but a Berlinetta that is 30yrs old is fine.

If I had the time and the money I would attempt to build it with MX5 mechanicals.
            Last edited by scott h; 14-04-21, 08:30 AM.

Comment

And it's just up the road from you, go for it you know you want to! If I were younger I would!

Comment

MX5 suspension and electric power like the Roadster in pitstop....

Comment

Stop messing and go for it, it will be brilliant!

Comment

They look like Bond Equipe seats, worth a bit on their own!
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
                    X