IVA test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IVA test

Hi I'm new to Marlin kit cars. Haven't actually got one yet but considering it. Looking at a number of unfinished projects and wondered what the IVA tester would need to prove donor car's engine details if the donor car V5 document isn't present. Ford engines seem popular, is it possible to get proof of engine details from Ford.

Re: IVA test

Welcome to the forum.

What model are you considering? From your mention of Ford engines I'm guessing Berlinetta or Hunter/ Cabrio? I read a post recently suggesting the Berli will be 'challenging' to get through IVA and you would be better advised to look for a project that's previously been registered, if that's what you have in mind.

I think a number of members have got the Cabrio through the test and hopefully they can assist.

As far as your engine query if you don't have donor details or a sales invoice I believe that a report from a garage on letterheaded paper is acceptable. Again, hopefully someone with actual experience can chime in.

Comment

I've looked at the cabrios but to be honest I'm not sure about the canvas side panels and not sure how the wind up windows would look. So yes the Berlinetta is an option. Why is the Berlinetta challenging for the IVA test to me, who is totally ignorant of the details of the cars, the Berlinetta looks like a Audio with a roof. Or are they all equally difficult to comply with the IVA requirements.

Comment

The Cabrio is a good long range tourer, the wind up windows (electric on some) work fine
        and the hood is totally weatherproof.

There are many pictures in the gallery. The Hunter is a factory built turn key Cabrio

Comment

If you buy a part built kit, you will need a full set of build photos for IVA, which may involve taking apart the kit and starting again with photos.

Comment

If you have a Ford engine then this page https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-g...ure-dates.html will define the date of the engine. The only caveat is if it is a 8V DOHC engine the number was on a paper sticker. Mine had disappeared over the years but since I had some build photos and I had kept the VIN plate from the donor I managed to con the IVA examiner about the engine date.
            My Cabrio was the first ever to go through IVA in 2009.
            Main failure points were radius failures. I had to put U trim all around the wings and wheel arches and cover nuts and bolt heads in the front suspension. It also failed because the VIN was stamped over 2 lines on the nearside and the test required them to be stamped on 1 line on the offside. I needed a sticker near the brake fluid reservoir showing the type of brake fluid required.

Comment

I have put two cars through the IVA test. Its not trivial, but not impossible either.
              The most important thing is to do your research first - that way there won't be any (or less) surprises.
              IVA not cheap either- you need to add the cost into your budget....
              Cheers Robin

Comment

Check out 'Barely started Berlinetta' on the forum. The main problem is the way the Cortina cross member is fitted to the chassis. IVA regard it as a NO NO! But I think it is the nicest Tourer. I have a Roadster which is fun.
                Last edited by HairyDave; 13-04-21, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Didn't find that thread but found another detailing problems with attaching the front cross member to the Marlin chassis. Apparently IVA testers don't like it. It looks like I'll have to keep my eyes out for a tested and registered car. Disappointing I fancied the challenge of building one but don't fancy putting loads of time and money to find I can't drive it. Thanks for all the replies, pleased I've joined the club it seems very active and friendly.

Comment

The Berli thread is on "For Sale"...as is also a Triumph Roadster project I've just noted there

Comment

Originally posted by slatept View Post
                      Disappointing I fancied the challenge of building one ...
                      With some of the registered Berlis that have stood for years and appear on eBay you will practically have to build it!

Comment

Working...
                      X