Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Air-Control valve, testing:-

Ford 2.3ltr DOHC-16valve fuel-injected.

Idles at about 12-1300 rpm, which seems a bit high? Otherwise runs fine.

Does anyone have experience of testing the idle air-flow valve? It’s a two-pole device, so I assume 5-12volts will open it and either a spring return, or reversing the power closes it again?

Too much ‘electrickery’ under the bonnet for my liking, but I’m wondering if I have a slight leak, either in the valve seating or the jointing gasket, would that cause higher idle revs?

Cheers, Colin B
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Re: Idle Air-Control valve, testing:-

Whilst I am not familiar with that particular Idle Control Valve, ones on other engines respond well to a clean with the likes of WD 40. The part of the valve that slides or rotates gets gummed up.

Comment

I had a similar problem with the 8valve DOHC engine with the idle speed fluctuating between about 12 - 1500rpm. Cleaned the idle control valve but made no difference. Then replaced it with a new one (expensive!) and again made no difference. On advice from someone (can't remember who) I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and it solved the problem. Don't ask me how or why!

Comment

You should be able to feel a slight vibration through it with the engine running, if you can then it's likely ok . Air leaks as usual can be checked by spraying brake cleaner or similar around the valve. If those items check out ok then I would go with Geoff's suggestion of TPS .
        The one I had on my BMW engined Cabrio could be rotated to some degree for adjustment purposes and seemed quite critical in getting it right.

Comment

Working...
        X