Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Idle Air-Control valve, testing:-

1. #1 Idle Air-Control valve, testing:- 
    Ford 2.3ltr DOHC-16valve fuel-injected.

Idles at about 12-1300 rpm, which seems a bit high? Otherwise runs fine.

Does anyone have experience of testing the idle air-flow valve? It’s a two-pole device, so I assume 5-12volts will open it and either a spring return, or reversing the power closes it again?

Too much ‘electrickery’ under the bonnet for my liking, but I’m wondering if I have a slight leak, either in the valve seating or the jointing gasket, would that cause higher idle revs?

Cheers, Colin B
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

2. #2 Re: Idle Air-Control valve, testing:- 
    club member Club Member
    Whilst I am not familiar with that particular Idle Control Valve, ones on other engines respond well to a clean with the likes of WD 40. The part of the valve that slides or rotates gets gummed up.

3. #3 Re: Idle Air-Control valve, testing:- 
    club member Club Member
    I had a similar problem with the 8valve DOHC engine with the idle speed fluctuating between about 12 - 1500rpm. Cleaned the idle control valve but made no difference. Then replaced it with a new one (expensive!) and again made no difference. On advice from someone (can't remember who) I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and it solved the problem. Don't ask me how or why!

4. #4 Re: Idle Air-Control valve, testing:- 
    Moderator Club Member
    You should be able to feel a slight vibration through it with the engine running, if you can then it's likely ok . Air leaks as usual can be checked by spraying brake cleaner or similar around the valve. If those items check out ok then I would go with Geoff's suggestion of TPS .
    The one I had on my BMW engined Cabrio could be rotated to some degree for adjustment purposes and seemed quite critical in getting it right.