No announcement yet.

Is the Marlin Cabrio fuel tank baffled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Marlin Cabrio fuel tank baffled?

Bluebelle is stuttering slightly on 'high G turns', just made myself laugh there.

Worst is turning left pulling away up hill, which is why I am thinking tank surge. I've not run it on more than half a tank, I suppose I should fill it up and see if it stops, which would indicate field surge in the tank.

So looking into that before finding some to pull the carb apart to check the float(s) levels.

Doug: Did you see this at all when you had the car. It's not too annoying, so don't want to spend a lot of time on it if it's something you lived with as well.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Is the Marlin Cabrio fuel tank baffled?

Millie had two “baffles” but they were totally useless. I guess they were intended to strengthen the top and bottom around the straps. The gaps did not prevent sloshing.

The tank has the fuel take up on the right. Turning right sends all the fuel to the left. Accelerating does move the fuel a little further away from the pickup but mostly uses more fuel causing starvation.

The fuel gauge is also on the right and was better at measuring G-force than fuel level. Mostly you guess that there was some fuel because the gauge showed full turning left and empty when turning right; about half a tank then. I was shocked to find that the gauge could show empty for 30 seconds or more going round a large roundabout or sweeping corner.

I was worried that fitting a high pressure pump to suit the Zetec to replace the Pinto would cause big problems. Several sources stated that the pumps burn out very quickly if they run dry, so I went to some considerable effort to revise the tank.

I replaced the baffles with ones with small holes. I fitted a sump under the tank with the take up near the centre rear of the sump. The sump provides a reservoir of fuel despite and cornering or acceleration.
    Paul

Comment

My carbrio tank (2003) has a small dished area at the bottom in the centre of the tank and that is where the fuel pick up point is. I run with a low pressure pump at the back and a high pressure pump under the bonnet. The tank is not baffled.
      Alternative solution is to fit a swirl pot.
      As David states the fuel gauge is also a 'G' meter. I think I get about 0.9g cornering. Can't comment about accleration and braking as I am too busy doing other things.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
        Bluebelle is stuttering slightly on 'high G turns', just made myself laugh there.

Worst is turning left pulling away up hill, which is why I am thinking tank surge. I've not run it on more than half a tank, I suppose I should fill it up and see if it stops, which would indicate field surge in the tank.

So looking into that before finding some to pull the carb apart to check the float(s) levels.

Doug: Did you see this at all when you had the car. It's not too annoying, so don't want to spend a lot of time on it if it's something you lived with as well.
        Attached picture of my fuel tank with swirl pot high pressure pump drawing fuel from the top of the tank.
        Is yours the same ?, as I have not had the same problems you mention

IMG_20210426_104038.jpg

Comment

The bottom of my tank is flat. Fuel outlet is on the bottom, front left of centre.
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Detailed reply soon. Been with caravan in sunny Norfolk. Liz

Comment

Sorry not replied earlier.
              1.Stuttering:- Did tend to cough sometimes on turning left especially uphill.
              Possibilities
              a. Better in lower gear to spin mechanical fuel pump faster. (New fuel pump fitted during our ownership)
              b. Float level in the carb may be low. I lowered the level some years ago when I thought it was flooding and I can't remember if I reset it.
              c. It may be the result of using a V6 carb on a Pinto.

2. Fuel gauge mounted in the centre of the tank - works accurately.

3. Soft mints were Liz's, we were often losing them under the passenger seat.

Hope this helps
              Doug

Comment

Excellent, thanks Doug.

Comment

Working...
                X