Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame

1. #11 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    I have seen details somewhere of a system using the handbrake and cables, but cannot remember how they overrode the ratchet system!

2. #12 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member
    Several motor home owners tow small cars e.g. Smart or similar city cars so would it be worth talking to a motor home supplier to check on what is considered legal.

3. #13 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member
    I have seen an A-frame made from a caravan drawbar. A cable from the foot pedal to the caravan hitch works the brakes. When reversing the brakes need to be disconnected (caravan reversing relies on funny things in the drums) or an old-fashioned spacer to stop the hitch from moving back. A steering person is also needed. There are A-frame kits with brakes available, also an American electric brake system. Brakes are only required on trailers with a all-up weight over 750Kg.

4. #14 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    As I see it, as long as the overall weight is under 750kg, car plus A frame, brakes aren't required. But, since this is such a grey area, I would disable the car in some way, so it wouldn't start.
    Personally, I would get the wife to drive the motorhome and I'd drive the Marlin and enjoy the drive!

5. #15 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member
    I can tell you exactly how it is, Ben is correct The 750 limit is for trailers with no brakes fitted. After this weight a trailer must be fitted with brakes. However if a trailer under 750 has brakes fitted they must be able to be applied while towing. So regardless of weight a Marlin or any other car being A framed becomes a 4 wheel trailer and because brakes are fitted they must work. There is no exemption for a broken down vehicle either. There may well be for professional recovery company to move a vehicle from a motorway or similar. I used an A frame for more than 25 years, (I still have one) but some years back I was stopped on the motorway and taken to a weigh bridge
    I was quite relaxed because I had a Citroen 2cv based car on tow and I knew it was well under 750. and I had disabled it . There was no prosecution just the law regarding A frames in the UK explained. The car I was towing was kept in a private compound until I returned with a a recovery vehicle or a proper car transporter (legal trailer) I was 170 miles from home I went home and I purchased a 4 wheel car trailer the next day and went back for my car. There was of course a storage charge as well as being advised to throw the A frame in the first skip I came across!! So gentlemen there is my story. So now it is up to you to make your own decision. What I can say as well I have seen A frames with full caravan type hitch withhand brake and a cable running to the foot pedal of the car being towed. There would be very little brake applied without the help of the servo so I do not know how that would be viewed if you were stopped by the patrol guys. Also the cost of this type of kit is almost the same as a good used trailer anyway. So again your decision how you see it. Danny.

6. #16 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member
    Thanks for all the insights guys. I had done some research and was aware of the braking requirements.
    It seems the braked A frames use an overun type coupling with a cable arrangement attached to the cars brake pedal. Relatively easy to achieve when you are at the early stages of a rebuild.
    But, as nobody has fessed up it seems, to answer my original question, nobody can provide any experience of towing a Roadster
    Cheers Robin

7. #17 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member
    Sorry Robin My post was to answer the opinions expressed. I have many many miles of experience of towing a roadster by this method. Give me a call on 07976836374 or email danny.nelson@blueyonder.co.uk Danny.

8. #18 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    Just to throw a spanner in the works...where do you stand using a towing dolly, where you drive the front wheels of the car onto the dolly. If the towing dolly has it's own brake would that be legal?

9. #19 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member
    You would still fall foul Gareth.

10. #20 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member
    All wheels on a trailer must be braked. Remember the Starcraft 6 wheel camper which only had brakes on four? Two more wheels needed brakes. So hand brake actuation is a no go. A dolly may only be used to tow a broken-down vehicle to a place of repair. Look upWWW.getautowbrake.com about electric trailer brakes.