Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame

1. #21 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    Moderator Club Member
    There is an easier way! Drive the Roadster and book into B and B or Hotel.

2. #22 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member bryannewell's Avatar
    I used to tow my Roadster with a homemade Aframe attached via eyebolts welded to the chassis it worked well enough but was totally illegal as it was unbraked
    When I bought my Cabrio it had contact with a firm called Towtal in Stoke on trent and they were going to adapt the front end and fit towbar to my motorhome as a package, I did not want the cable braking system so opted for an electronic unit which sits in the footwell attached to the brake pedal and worked in conjunction with Motorhome brakes via Bluetooth or Wifi(I can't remenber which) As Danny says braking would be compromised without the help of the servo but due to the light weight of our cars and having tried it with a freelander with no issues I am happy that it would not cause concern behind a motorhome! And of course would be legal, Due to the "Grey areas" of towing with Aframes abroad particularly Spain which is definitely illegal and figured highly in our plans I decided not to go ahead but if ours plans were purely for the UK I would have gone with it happily! I also agree with Alan about driving and b&bs as we have had several great trips abroad with the car and no Motorhome
    Stapley Bryan

3. #23 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    A little bit out there I know but why not buy a van big enough to drive the roadster into it.

You could rent the van out when your not using it.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by dogoncrazy View Post
    There is an easier way! Drive the Roadster and book into B and B or Hotel.
    Last edited by listerjp2; 03-05-2021 at 08:29 AM.

4. #24 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member
    A proper motorhome will have a garage at the back and a reasonable level of comfort. Sliding out extensions provide a civilized amount of living room with a fully fitted kitchen and laundry room. On site, the staff lives in the garage. I prefer B&B.

5. #25 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    Many many years ago in my Micro Car days (Oh if I still had them, have you seen the prices they are fetching) there was
    a guy with a large towing caravan which he had modified with a large opening door on the back and his Isetta fitted in there

Nothing like as grand as the motorhome, Dave, but pretty innovative for it's time !

6. #26 Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    It will be interesting to see how the Binky/Bad obsession Project Escargot project works out.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.