Towing a Roadster with an A Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing a Roadster with an A Frame

Has anybody done it? If so i would be very interested to know how you got on, what A Farme you used etc?

The reason I ask is I am planning to do just that, behind our camper van, once the Roadster is completed.

Cheers, Robin

Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame

I was thinking of doing the same but not got round yet to getting an A frame. It would be very easy to hook up, but you can't reverse, remember that when you go down the narrow country lanes!
    If you go to France I believe you need a braked A frame by law.
    Plenty of ordinary A frames0 on eBay for just over £100.
    Are they legal here? Bit of a grey area. They tend to be classed as recovery trailers, so suggest disabling the car and if stopped by a job's worth, you can prove the car won't start.
    Someone on here may have more info. This is just what I found out on 'tinternet!
    Gareth.

Comment

I have used one with my Berly here a la frog, never been stopped, it's also a grey area here, I take out the rotor arm and disconnect the battery so it is a 4 wheeled trailer, leave the key in the ignition as well.
      I have a chum who was a sgt in the gendarmerie, he was non commital as well, he suggest it depends on your attitude with plod!

Comment

I did have an A Frame, personal choice I went down the trailer route which I prefer but creates another problem of storage.
        If over 750 kg it will need to be a braked A Frame
        https://towtal.co.uk/ do A frames although cost of new one not far off cost of a trailer.

Comment

A Marlin has brakes so if you tow the Marlin it becomes a trailer and the trailer brakes must work.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks guys. I realise that it would have to be braked to be legal, which makes it almost as expensive as a trailer - but without the storage issues.

I was looking for someone that had actually done it, before spashing the cash. One thing I thought that might be an issue is the Marina base's reputation for poor self centering steering....

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
              https://www.gov.uk/government/public...es-and-dollies

A Marlin has brakes so if you tow the Marlin it becomes a trailer and the trailer brakes must work.
              Which makes towing a road legal car with a A frame illegal.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                Unless it's broken down...

Comment

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
                  Thanks guys. I realise that it would have to be braked to be legal, which makes it almost as expensive as a trailer - but without the storage issues.

I was looking for someone that had actually done it, before spashing the cash. One thing I thought that might be an issue is the Marina base's reputation for poor self centering steering....

Cheers, Robin
                  I did it for a short while for my rally car and I switched to a trailer. A frames are not easy to reverse for one and if you have problems with the back axle it can be a problem....
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                    Not necessarily there is an A bar kit that somehow uses a braking system but don't ask me how it works??
                    We sell and install high-quality electric braking systems to dramatically reduce your braking distance. Take a look at our products!
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I have seen details somewhere of a system using the handbrake and cables, but cannot remember how they overrode the ratchet system!

Comment

Several motor home owners tow small cars e.g. Smart or similar city cars so would it be worth talking to a motor home supplier to check on what is considered legal.

Comment

I have seen an A-frame made from a caravan drawbar. A cable from the foot pedal to the caravan hitch works the brakes. When reversing the brakes need to be disconnected (caravan reversing relies on funny things in the drums) or an old-fashioned spacer to stop the hitch from moving back. A steering person is also needed. There are A-frame kits with brakes available, also an American electric brake system. Brakes are only required on trailers with a all-up weight over 750Kg.

Comment

As I see it, as long as the overall weight is under 750kg, car plus A frame, brakes aren't required. But, since this is such a grey area, I would disable the car in some way, so it wouldn't start.
                            Personally, I would get the wife to drive the motorhome and I'd drive the Marlin and enjoy the drive!

Comment

I can tell you exactly how it is, Ben is correct The 750 limit is for trailers with no brakes fitted. After this weight a trailer must be fitted with brakes. However if a trailer under 750 has brakes fitted they must be able to be applied while towing. So regardless of weight a Marlin or any other car being A framed becomes a 4 wheel trailer and because brakes are fitted they must work. There is no exemption for a broken down vehicle either. There may well be for professional recovery company to move a vehicle from a motorway or similar. I used an A frame for more than 25 years, (I still have one) but some years back I was stopped on the motorway and taken to a weigh bridge
                              I was quite relaxed because I had a Citroen 2cv based car on tow and I knew it was well under 750. and I had disabled it . There was no prosecution just the law regarding A frames in the UK explained. The car I was towing was kept in a private compound until I returned with a a recovery vehicle or a proper car transporter (legal trailer) I was 170 miles from home I went home and I purchased a 4 wheel car trailer the next day and went back for my car. There was of course a storage charge as well as being advised to throw the A frame in the first skip I came across!! So gentlemen there is my story. So now it is up to you to make your own decision. What I can say as well I have seen A frames with full caravan type hitch withhand brake and a cable running to the foot pedal of the car being towed. There would be very little brake applied without the help of the servo so I do not know how that would be viewed if you were stopped by the patrol guys. Also the cost of this type of kit is almost the same as a good used trailer anyway. So again your decision how you see it. Danny.

Comment

Working...
                              X