Towing a Roadster with an A Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Towing a Roadster with an A Frame

Thanks for all the insights guys. I had done some research and was aware of the braking requirements.
    It seems the braked A frames use an overun type coupling with a cable arrangement attached to the cars brake pedal. Relatively easy to achieve when you are at the early stages of a rebuild.
    But, as nobody has fessed up it seems, to answer my original question, nobody can provide any experience of towing a Roadster
    Cheers Robin

Comment

Sorry Robin My post was to answer the opinions expressed. I have many many miles of experience of towing a roadster by this method. Give me a call on 07976836374 or email [email protected] Danny.

Comment

Just to throw a spanner in the works...where do you stand using a towing dolly, where you drive the front wheels of the car onto the dolly. If the towing dolly has it's own brake would that be legal?

Comment

You would still fall foul Gareth.

Comment

All wheels on a trailer must be braked. Remember the Starcraft 6 wheel camper which only had brakes on four? Two more wheels needed brakes. So hand brake actuation is a no go. A dolly may only be used to tow a broken-down vehicle to a place of repair. Look upWWW.getautowbrake.com about electric trailer brakes.

Comment

There is an easier way! Drive the Roadster and book into B and B or Hotel.

Comment

I used to tow my Roadster with a homemade Aframe attached via eyebolts welded to the chassis it worked well enough but was totally illegal as it was unbraked
                When I bought my Cabrio it had contact with a firm called Towtal in Stoke on trent and they were going to adapt the front end and fit towbar to my motorhome as a package, I did not want the cable braking system so opted for an electronic unit which sits in the footwell attached to the brake pedal and worked in conjunction with Motorhome brakes via Bluetooth or Wifi(I can't remenber which) As Danny says braking would be compromised without the help of the servo but due to the light weight of our cars and having tried it with a freelander with no issues I am happy that it would not cause concern behind a motorhome! And of course would be legal, Due to the "Grey areas" of towing with Aframes abroad particularly Spain which is definitely illegal and figured highly in our plans I decided not to go ahead but if ours plans were purely for the UK I would have gone with it happily! I also agree with Alan about driving and b&bs as we have had several great trips abroad with the car and no Motorhome
                Stapley Bryan

Comment

A little bit out there I know but why not buy a van big enough to drive the roadster into it.

You could rent the van out when your not using it.

Adrian

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                  There is an easier way! Drive the Roadster and book into B and B or Hotel.
                  Last edited by listerjp2; 03-05-21, 08:29 AM.

Comment

A proper motorhome will have a garage at the back and a reasonable level of comfort. Sliding out extensions provide a civilized amount of living room with a fully fitted kitchen and laundry room. On site, the staff lives in the garage. I prefer B&B.

Comment

Many many years ago in my Micro Car days (Oh if I still had them, have you seen the prices they are fetching) there was
                      a guy with a large towing caravan which he had modified with a large opening door on the back and his Isetta fitted in there

Nothing like as grand as the motorhome, Dave, but pretty innovative for it's time !

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the Binky/Bad obsession Project Escargot project works out.
                        MOC member since 05/97
                        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                        X