Waterproofing bonnet piano hinge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproofing bonnet piano hinge

I’ve got my Cabrio out of storage this week and it’s back on the drive with an unsightly cover on it. One of the reasons for the cover is that the bonnet hinge will let a bit of rain to drip onto the engine bay.
    Is there a way to make the hinge a better seal?

Re: Waterproofing bonnet piano hinge

Originally posted by charlh94 View Post
    I’ve got my Cabrio out of storage this week and it’s back on the drive with an unsightly cover on it. One of the reasons for the cover is that the bonnet hinge will let a bit of rain to drip onto the engine bay.
    Is there a way to make the hinge a better seal?
    I would be thinking of U-section plastic or rubber to make a “gutter”. As the hinges, or rather the fold of the bonnet at the hinge, vary between different Cabrios and Hunters, then that would determine the eventual size and shape of the cross section. Even folded rubber sheet may work? As the bonnet slopes down towards the front I would try and extend it at that end to take any drips over the radiator into the nose cone area. Peter.

Comment

I have looked into this a few times both for Roadster and Cabrio but couldn't come up with a reliable solution, as in order to allow bonnet to open a much larger section than you initially think is needed. There is also the problem of how /what to attach to.
      There may be a fix , but I failed to find one that worked for me.

Comment

For my Roadster, I am looking at using a piece of square aluminum channel fastened to one side of the bonnet angle, which should then overlap the angle on the other side. The theory is good but I haven't tried it, yet. A drain at the bulkhead end may be needed to stop water from being blown up the channel.

Comment

Working...
        X