Roadster 1800 TC oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster 1800 TC oil filter

Along with a long list of lockdown jobs I replaced the oil and filter on my Roadster using a Borg and Beck BFO4085 filter supplied by ANG classic car parts said to be equivalent to Unipart GFE121.

On starting up today for the first time in three months the car dumped a huge amount of oil onto the floor, thankfully into a suitably placed drip tray! The source was clearly coming from the top of the filter.

I haven't investigated the problem properly yet and it may be that the rubber seal got snagged or something but this filter did appear to be too wide and so the rim was sitting proud of the oil filter head. The rubber though was of the correct diameter and was felt to seal well.

Donor vehicle was a 1977 Marina 1800TC coupe.

What supplier/part number do other members use?

Thanks,

Matthew Glason

Re: Roadster 1800 TC oil filter

Did you lubricate the rubber seal with a smear of fresh oil when you fitted the filter Stuart Harrison

Comment

I had this happen on my alfa gtv when I changed engines. turned out to be the oil relief valve. So that may be worth a check engine ran for 5-10 seconds then the seal popped. Worth a look and a lot more accessible than having to remove the sump and oil filter then use a tap and die to pull the seized plunger out on the alfa engine.

Good luck

Phil D

Comment

I've had this before on a Fiat Twin Cam. When my mate fitted the new filter he didn't observe that the old filter didn't have an o-ring. When we started it up it dumped all of the oil on the floor in spectacular style. When we took off the new filter it had two o-rings!
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi Stuart,

Yes I didi lubricate the seal with some fresh engine oil.

I suspect my error will be revealed once I take it off and will be all the wiser then!

Comment

I have had this happen. When I investigated the filter I had fitted was too large a diameter and fouled the housing preventing the rubber seal bedding properly. I think a number of filters are specified and possibly those that fit facing downwards may be the wider ones.

Comment

Thanks,

I think this is what must have happened. I said on my post that his filter was wider than the filter head. When I just took it off the seal was fully intact and it span easily so I don't suspect a misthread but oddly the filter was virtually dry so the oil must have bypassed in spectacular fashion presumably due to the seal not being fully seated. I did compare the seal diameter before fitting with the old filter and it was the same.

I shall try to source a white Unipart one (which is what came off) and report back.

Comment

Matthew
                There are 2 screw fit cannister type filters listed for the 1800 B series.

Moss europe list both types of filter for the MGB.

One is for the aluminium remote housing that has a long central tube and importantly the Oil filter is inverted i.e. mounted so that the closed end of the filter is pointing upwards.

That is the type I have and after an oil change I always remove the plugs and disconnect the coil lead & crank over until I see the oil pressure climb on the gauge or our oil light go out.

If you don't do this your engine will knock on initial start up , damaging the crank big end bearings.

This allows the inverted oil filter to fill up first and for you to check for leaks.

If all is well , then replace the Spark Plugs reconnect the coil lead and start up.

Comment

Thanks for your helpful tips. I have the other style of filter - closed end pointing down.

I see MOSS list their filter under the Unipart no GFE 121 and so I shall order one of those, rather than buy an eBay "new old stock" original Unipart one and so risk perishing of the seal.

Comment

I had the same problem but fortunately I discovered the difference whilst installing it.

Comment

Job finally completed today. Had a very helpful conversation with someone at Moss who had himself owned two 1800TCs in the past.

After talking he was confident that my engine had been fitted with a Mini oil filter conversion and indeed the Mini filter supplied went on with ease and seated correctly. Car fired up but too damp today for a proper run.

Comment

Working...
                      X