Cabrio bumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio bumpers

Hi Everybody I've recently acquired a cabrio which was built in 1996.The bumpers, which appear to be standard, are stainless steel (there not magnetic, that normally indicates stainless). Does anybody know if they are chrome plated or are they normally polished stainless steel.I've got a few minor dinks in them which I'm hoping to just polish out but don't want to be to agreesive and remove the chrome if they are plated.

Thanks Phil

Re: Cabrio bumpers

They are stainless steel. When I got my Hunter the bumpers had seen better days and straightening them added a few more scratches. I bought a stainless polishing kit (couple of wheels to fit an electric drill and a selection of compounds) and they came up really well but it knocked hell out of the drill. The fixing bolts are chromed so take them off first.

Peter H.

Comment

Hi - I'm not sure it is even possible to plate successfully onto stainless, so the bumpers certainly are not plated. As for the bolts, if they are plated, get some stainless ones instead. There are various suppliers of stainless bolts, well worth the outlay. My Cabrio definitely has stainless bolts, not sure now if supplied by Marlin or I sourced them. One word of caution: don't use Nyloc nuts, but put locking spring washers under plain nuts, much easier to undue when you want to. Cheers - Dave

Comment

I've also considered having the front bumper support plate made out of stainless sheet as the steel one supplied does need attention for rust when the paint gets stone chips. I seem to remember a MOC member has done this for his Cabrio but don't know who.
        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

It could have been John Mulvaney with the silver Hunter he owned. that you seen. The front bumper support channel was stainless and made by John.

Comment

Thanks all. Good news then i can give them a good polish. From my motorbiking days Triumph did chrome plate there stainless headers but I agree with Dave Kitson it apparantly a very complex process, I think I found one place down London way who said they could do it. The steel backing channel on my front is also bent, I hadn't thought about replacing it with stainless. I've got another question but I'll raise another thread about that.

Comment

Working...
            X