Fake Marlin in Auction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Marlin in Auction?

Based on the Triumph Vitesse,2 litre engine,Very lightweight. The Roadster as you see here has been finished in the style of a Riley / Vi...

i dont remember the name of the other kit-manufacturer...but looks like somebody built a kit using a Marlin V5c to bypass IVA.

Re: Fake Marlin in Auction?

It is not a Vincent , looks more like a special one off with a little bit of Riley looks, but it may well have been built using a MK 1 Triumph based Marlin chassis and running gear. There are several period looking specials on the road built in that manner.

Comment

Pual Moorhouse says on another forum it's a new one to him, likewise Tony Dwornic [Vincent MPH] has said it's also not from him. Did it sell?

Comment

This has already been discussed at great length on the Marlin FB page. It's intended to look like a Vincent but could be based on a Marlin chassis. It's quite a nice car and quality looks reasonable.

Another 5+ days of bidding on the auction but up to £3,500 already. Could be going for chunky money. It will be interesting to see if it ever turns up to a MOC meet at Stoneleigh. After all we've already had Morgan's show up...
        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

A friend sent me details of this car on "Car & Classic" website. I sent the details on to Dave Cunningham and he replied saying he had known about this car for a whil,e and it has reappeared. He had contacted "C&C" for the chassis number but he does not know where to ask them to look as the bulkhead has been altered. David.

Comment

Hi all, having looked at photos in as much detail as possible I would guess this is a one off and it does not look like it’s on a marlin chassis.

Comment

A question for those of you that have looked carefully at the pictures. Were you able to determine what is the size of thw wheels and tyres? just curious....

Cheers, Robin

PS - vehicle still seems to be registered on its original logbook. DVLA says a green Triumph/
              Last edited by martinclan56; 17-05-21, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Tyres are marked 7.00 x 14 Monarch remoulds (photos expand if clicked, large enough to see detail)

Comment

Cheers - better eyesight than me.
                  Does that mean they are crossplies then? I Googled them and they seem to be trailer tyres!

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Interesting to have an exposed gearbox inside!? Anyone else tried that in a Marlin ?

Comment

Vincent...thats the Kit i was thinking when watching the rear of the car. the rest looks individually made.

IMO its a modified vincent-kit or a complete homebrew, using a triumph (herald/vitesse?) chassis.

by the way: the car is NOT registered as marlin!!!

WHO 364H

✗ Untaxed

Tax due:
                      1 December 1989

Vehicle make TRIUMPH
                      Date of first registration June 1970
                      Year of manufacture 1970
                      Cylinder capacity 1998 cc
                      COâ‚‚ emissions Not available
                      Fuel type PETROL
                      Euro status Not available
                      Real Driving Emissions (RDE) Not available
                      Export marker No
                      Vehicle status Untaxed
                      Vehicle colour GREEN
                      Vehicle type approval Not available
                      Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
                      Revenue weight Not available
                      Last edited by Sportster-Green; 17-05-21, 11:19 AM.

Comment

There was one in Italy within the last 2 - 3 years --- perhaps DC has more details/info!!

Comment

IDM.Re, open gearbox. Not in a marlin, but in an MG PA. You need a rubber gasket all round and around the bell housing or water pours in. Most Roasters have gear lever extensions, which could be tricky. The gearbox does look good polished though.
                          Could be an expensive bag of problems? Tyres 700x14 6Ply Firm ride!
                          Last edited by HairyDave; 17-05-21, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I emailed Car & Classic about the car and got this reply:
                            Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your email.

After further investigation, it would appear that this is not a 'Marlin' kit car. We have amended the auction listing accordingly and would like to thank you for being a valuable member of the Car & Classic community, and for bringing this to our attention.

Kind Regards,

Chris Kishtoo
                            Car and Classic Limited

Comment

Amazing how some of these threads run !

I believe the car was a "copy/homage" to a Riley Imp (1934?...Google it).... in the same way that the Vincent MPH was.

It could well have started as a T based Roadster but it's not obvious !

Yes Tony, this one :
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X