Fake Marlin in Auction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fake Marlin in Auction?

Thats the one, trying to keep dementia at bay, its not easy!!! ;-))

Comment

You n me both, Sunshine !

Comment

I seem to recall that the blurb with the photos referred to it being based on a 30's Alfa --- I recall it was quite a high priced piece!!

Comment

That's the second proof that there is nothing wrong with your memory !

Comment

Good to hear, but where did i put my front door key??

Comment

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
              Cheers - better eyesight than me.
              Does that mean they are crossplies then? I Googled them and they seem to be trailer tyres!

Cheers, Robin
              May well be tyres marketed for trailer use. In today's world of low profile tyres for road cars, tyres intended for vans and/or trailers give a much better choice for deeper profiles (i.e. full 80% section tyres). I know this from my search for trials tyres where I'm looking for 175/80/14 or 185/80/14 - only a handful of 'passenger car' tyres marketed in those profiles, but loads of van and trailer tyres! Not that they can't be used on a car, but I'm guessing they're built with stiffer sidewalls and higher load ratings. I'm looking at some Hanokook RA tyres which are officially 'trailer tyres' but I think might work well on a trials Marlin.

Comment

Have just read the comments on the imitation Marlin / Riley WHO 364H, that was sold recently. It was put up for sale in October 2020 with South Western Vehicle Auctions in Poole and I went to view it. It was advertised for £3,900 - £4,500 but sold for £2,500 approx and was apparently withdrawn. I was late bidding and lost out. I then contacted SWVA to ask if they would putt me in touch with the owner to see if I could broker a deal. They refused. I also contacted DVLA and asked the same. They also declined. I contacted the MOC and had a response from Dave C to say not known and not a Marlin. In fact I thought it might be a Vincent copy but I wasn't sure. I had one for a number of years. All I did know was that it came from the Bournemouth area but could find no trace> Now its resurfaced and sold for £8,500 and I bought myself a Roadster instead with the same engine. This is what was in the catalogue..

Believed to be a very early Marlin Roadster based on Triumph Vitesse running gear. Last taxed in 1989 and has been in a dry workshop for over 30 years. It has recently been recomissioned with new brake master cylinders, brake calipers and clutch cylinders. Tax and MOT exempt. The vendor tells us this is a well built car with wire wheels and is fun to drive. Sounds great and parts are readily available.
                Auctioneers notes: For a modest outlay the lucky buyer of this machine is getting a huge grin factor. That straight six triumph engine produces 95bhp it weighs very little, I bet she flies. May be viewed by appointment.
                Please note: This car is still registered as a Triumph Vitesse on the current V5C
                Attached Files

Comment

THanks , Just spotted your reply Hairy Dave

Comment

Originally posted by kuzamz769 View Post
                    Have just read the comments on the imitation Marlin / Riley WHO 364H, that was sold recently. It was put up for sale in October 2020 with South Western Vehicle Auctions in Poole and I went to view it. It was advertised for £3,900 - £4,500 but sold for £2,500 approx and was apparently withdrawn. I was late bidding and lost out. I then contacted SWVA to ask if they would putt me in touch with the owner to see if I could broker a deal. They refused. I also contacted DVLA and asked the same. They also declined. I contacted the MOC and had a response from Dave C to say not known and not a Marlin. In fact I thought it might be a Vincent copy but I wasn't sure. I had one for a number of years. All I did know was that it came from the Bournemouth area but could find no trace> Now its resurfaced and sold for £8,500 and I bought myself a Roadster instead with the same engine. This is what was in the catalogue..

Believed to be a very early Marlin Roadster based on Triumph Vitesse running gear. Last taxed in 1989 and has been in a dry workshop for over 30 years. It has recently been recomissioned with new brake master cylinders, brake calipers and clutch cylinders. Tax and MOT exempt. The vendor tells us this is a well built car with wire wheels and is fun to drive. Sounds great and parts are readily available.
                    Auctioneers notes: For a modest outlay the lucky buyer of this machine is getting a huge grin factor. That straight six triumph engine produces 95bhp it weighs very little, I bet she flies. May be viewed by appointment.
                    Please note: This car is still registered as a Triumph Vitesse on the current V5C

so again a misleading sales description....this car is NOT a marlin.

Comment

............but it could still have been built, as described, on an early T based Marlin kit.

There are sufficient detail differences (eg front wing edges) from the pic of the Vincent to indicate that
                      it could well be a one off ---- we'll probably never know, but does it matter ?

IMHO the car looks great

Comment

Yes, the car does look great, but, the problem comes if it is not correctly registered, and it is obviously not a Vitess body and there is an accident. The insurance company could refuse to pay up, then the police nail you for no insurance! If someone is hurt or killed, very deep doodoo! With no MOT required to tax it a potentially uninsured motor is on the road. ANPR says Triumph Vitess plod says no it isn't, and the car could be on the way to the crusher unless the insurance has all the details. Minefield?

Comment

Agree totally Dave, the owner should get the V5 corrected, even though it WAS in line with current practice at the
                          time - it now needs sorting, as I believe do several older Roadsters.

Comment

Hi All
                            Refernce car WHO 364H, I have copies of the auction details of this car by "Car and Classic". There is a page showing paperwork with a photo of the V5 and behind it a sheet of A4 paper with the Marlin Logo in the top left hand corner. Interesting?!
                            Barry

Comment

Could you copy that to me please Barry, my email as in Pitstop, I might be able to identify it
                              DC

Comment

Originally posted by batman3481 View Post
                                Hi All
                                Refernce car WHO 364H, I have copies of the auction details of this car by "Car and Classic". There is a page showing paperwork with a photo of the V5 and behind it a sheet of A4 paper with the Marlin Logo in the top left hand corner. Interesting?!
                                Barry

i remember this as well...but it was just a piece of paper stating "Marlin Owners Club" this "Marlin'" doc was cleverly placed by the former seller just to give his "fake" an authentic touch.

and it needs to be pointed out that this car was never correctly registrated, even NOT with the "old" laws:
                                the V5c clearly states triumph vitesse, bodytype :saloon.
                                with the old rules it would have been re-named "triumph vitesse " body type "sports"
                                Last edited by Sportster-Green; 31-07-21, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X