Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just another bit General Knowledge required...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another bit General Knowledge required...

I'm at the point of fitting and wiring up my instruments on my new dashboard and I have a choice: I can either re-fit just as before with the electric water temperature and capillary fed oil pressure, OR I could / can fit a dual water temperature / oil pressure pressure gauge (sourced from Caerbont, matching font / colour etc ) which I have. What I don't know is whether I can connect the water temperature side of the dual instrument to the engine block in the same place as the existing sensor...as it's another capillary driven gauge rather than athe electrical one fitted previously. I'm reluctant to take things apart to find out by inspection as the 8 valve DOHC engine fitted is notorious for developing air locks in the cooling system and having been caught out many times before by looking for trouble unnecessarily ...and finding it...I'd rather not risk taking on any more just at the moment. What started as a fix for my non functioning indicators has already turned into a re-wire with a new dash panel !
    Can anyone help, please?

Re: Just another bit General Knowledge required...

If you decide to change it depends on the new gauge
    a) Having long enough capillary to reach the temp sensor location
    b)It having the same thread as the engine block
    I would be tempted to stick with the devil you know.
    Chris

Comment

I agree with Chris. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Just get it back together and drive it!

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
        I agree with Chris. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Just get it back together and drive it!
        +1 You have to leave something to put on the todo list for next winter
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Thank you all. This idea reverts to the back burner...for now the standard clocks will be retained, and the time clock re-located.

Comment

Working...
          X