Q827 reappears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q827 reappears

I've told the seller it is not a Hunter !

Attached Files

Re: Q827 reappears

Doing well to get 170hp from a B series!!!

Comment

The weak spot on the B series producing that sort of power is to achieve it the ports have to be opened up a lot to flow.

Unfortunately that then leads to the walls of the ports in the head to be too thin and they are then prone to cracking. Meaning a new cylinder head .

Personally I prefer the high torque single carb Marina cam coupled to Twin HS2's, as it's got Diesel like low end torque and is very tractable ,on the go from 1000 RPM and I rarely need to take it above 3000 RPM, whilst still making good progress on the road and also achieving reasonable fuel economy.

At best my engine will have 95BHP, probably less . However this is still sufficient in such a light car.
      Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 21-05-21, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Can't believe that 170 BHP from a 'B' series is possible AND still be tractable enough for the road.

Comment

Someone I knew had a B series a few years back. There was extensive headwork done to it ( The head cracked after a few races). It was on a single 45 DCOE. Iirc it was out to almost 2 litres with a lot of Cambridge motorsport parts fitted. I was at the rolling Road Session where it produced 155 BHP at the rear wheels.

Comment

Burgess indicates 140+ (at the wheels) possible but only with split Webers & extensive work and basically unusable below 3k.
            NB - the spec sheet in the ad is "required" rather than "delivered" if I read it right...also not sure if the other document details "actual" figures or not...plus RR do vary.
            In short, might be worth a punt just for the engine, given the cost of a race-spec B series
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Got 150bhp out of a 2.0Pinto in an RS2000 rally car. Was a pig to drive normally.

Comment

I used to set up many rally cars of all makes on the Clayton Rolling Road , this one was accurate and was regularly calibrated and compared to our Schenk bench Dyno that was ex BICERI and used for the Rover K series development and engine lubricant evaluations.

The B series engine I mention was fitted to a lightweight Aluminium bodied MGB , which won quite a few events.

The headwork was done by Peter Stock who has a good reputation of producing high output cylinder heads in the racing world.

We ran up two A series engine 'd; 1 in a A35 & 1 in a Mini that Peter Stock had done the head on and iirc were producing 120 bhp + at the wheels.

The cars were driven by Tony Jardine and Martin Brundle achieving 2nd and 3rd places at the St Mary's Trophy at the Goodwood Revival that year. After we stopped preparing these particular cars , they never finished again as high in the high placings.

When we compared engines run on the bench dyno to the rolling road that was in the workshop.
                Front wheel cars typically lost 15 BHP compared to the flywheel figure .

The Rear wheel drives losses were higher typically 25 BHP.

Which interestingly regularly equated to the quoted kw figure being the bhp figure at the wheels.

With regards to the 2.0l Pinto , the best engines consistently were from Roland Hayes , near Brands Hatch.
                we used to do the testing for Dave Walker of Practical Classics .

Here's some info in relation to the above.
                http://www.dominicbolton.freeuk.com/...class_hero.pdf

However at the time the Vauxhall 2.0L 16v was a vastly superior powerplant. Many RS2000's retro fitted this engine.
                Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 22-05-21, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Smart roadster but how Much??
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                  X