Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio/ Seirra front wheel hub carriers. Take 2

Hi again.
    I'm really struggling with the front wheel hub carriers identification fitted to my Cabrio. I have seen some new old stock ones on ebay, but at £60 each don't really want to risk it. The items fitted at the moment carry the Ford code B3 170 AH for right and B3 171 AH for the left, they do not have the ABS probe drilling.
    The ones on ebay and every other bit of info I can find says the early Seirra carrier code should be B3 170 AG. All the info I've seen shows these with the ABS probe drilling. The dimension I think is different to the ones on ebay is the distance between the centre of the lower ball joint and the track rod end centre which I have tried to show on my picture. Mine have a dimension of approx 130mm.
    Drawings and info I've found seem to point to the B3 170 AG arm having a dimension of approx 120mm. They may well fit but I'm thinking the steering would be heavier as the distance to the track rod end would be less.

Would anybody be kind enough to measure there carriers. Additionally if you could find the code cast into the arm, that would be very useful.

Any help appreciated Thanks Phil

20210529_105513.jpg20210529_105458.jpg

Re: Cabrio/ Seirra front wheel hub carriers. Take 2

Have just checked my Hunter as follows. Driver’s side 83BB3K170AH Passenger side no number in that location. However there is a number on the outside of the steering arm, but with the wheel and disc in place I can’t read it! However both ball joints measure 130mm centre to centre. Neither have a location hole for the ABS sensor. Hope this helps. Peter.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to do that Pete, looks like you've got exactly the same as me. I'm thinking that the AH version of the carrier is from the very early Seirras and seems very hard to find. I believe some of the early Seirras were without power steering. Could really do with somebody with the AG version confirming that dimension.

Comment

My old 2.0GL Sierra did not have power steering. The rack fitted to my Hunter is a non PS rack. I would avoid the 120mm AG upright as that dimension would give less mechanical advantage but was probably ok with PS. Also the uprights with the ABS sensors will be for the 4 WD Sierras and I believe the Scorpios. I would expect other dimensions on those uprights to be different too so best avoided. Also Sierras R us may be able to help you source what you need. Peter.

Comment

My donor was 20.DOHC 89/90 and did not have power steering or ABS

Comment

This might help. This is for mk1 Sierra. Maybe find the one for later Sierras and compare.

Comment

Dri.vers side on mine reads same as Peters and 130mm. There appears to be number on passenger side but unable to see clearly at the moment

Comment

I did quite a lot of work in this area trying to get the steering geometry right on my Cabrio. I made this sketch:

Hub 1.jpg

There is what purports to be a Sierra hub drawing here:

I could not ger the dimension to match mine so I wouldn’t give it more than a passing view. As an ex-draughtsman I read such things in preference to a novel.
                Paul

Comment

Nice drawing Paul, although I enjoyed technical drawing at school I never got much beyond "O" level GCE. Interesting we are all agreeing on the 130mm ish dimension. I've only recently got the car and thought I would renew the anti roll bar bushes. It's only as I stripped down the suspension did I notice the badly distorted tapers for the 2 ball joints. At the moment I've rebuilt everything and there is no detectable movement, it just bothers me because I know its not perfect. I might have a go and purchase the carriers I've seen on ebay Thank-you for all your comments and help. For completeness I'll update this thread if I get any further information.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                  X