Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adjust the camber

hello,

on my Marlin Marina 1800TC both front tires are worn inside .. you can see with the eye that the camber is not right.
    Where do you set that ?
    Front suspention Marina.jpg

For help and advice, I would be grateful

Best regards
    André
    Last edited by wolf_rueffel; 05-07-21, 07:55 AM.

Re: adjust the camber

Camber cannot be adjusted unfortunately. I t would be advisable to have the tracking checked as from what you say it would seem you have too much toe -out and that's easy to adjust .

Comment

I recall that the eye boot is fitted horizontally in the Marlin. This means you can fit a very slim shim between the eye bolt and the chassis to dial in a bit of negative camber. I did this to PKK when built.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Camber can't be adjusted as such but it'll vary according to suspension compression/rebound as per any unequal length double wishbone design (albeit not real wishbones in a Marlin, but same effect....)

So if the static camber seems too negative to your eyes, then maybe static front ride is set too low? If so then it should be a simple adjustment of the torsion bar reaction arm adjusting screw. Although not done this myself so can't comment on exactly how much difference ride height will make to camber.

Comment

Many Thanks for your advice !
          Unfortunately, I don't know much about front Suspension,
          And the Marlin should help me to get Knowledge about cars and technology ....

So it may be that my questions seem a bit stupid :-(
          I tried to see through the picture what had to be changed and where.
          Then I wasn't wrong with the assumption that it doesn't work at all :-)

Many many Thanks

@ Dogoncrazy
          Maybe just the tracking is really wrong. Can you tell me where and how I can adjust that is this adjusted on the Steering linkage?

Best regards
          André

Comment

Tracking adjustment is done by screwing the track rod end in or out. They are the ones on the very end of the steering rack that connect it to the steering arms which are part of the front suspension upright.
            As I'm useless at posting images maybe another member can oblige!

Comment

Here you go

Tracking .jpg

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                Here you go

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12357[/ATTACH]
                Many Thanks !

If you know what to look for, you will find the right information

Comment

I would suggest that your problem is "toe out" if the tyres are scrubbing on the inner edge, and "toe in" if they are scrubbing
                  on the outer edge.

Google will help you to understand, and it will only be a very small adjustment to be made, as in the above posts, both sides
                  should be done the same amount.

Rgds DC

Comment

Hello,

I readjusted the track yesterday.
                    I set about 0.4 ° toe-in and the car is completely different now! It drives like a normal car now, the steering is centered much better, I'm very happy!

Before adjusting:

20210703_120316_copy_726x1612.jpg

20210703_113354_copy_1612x726.jpg
                    20210703_113357_copy_1612x726.jpg
                    20210703_120307_copy_726x1612.jpg
                    20210703_122239_copy_726x1612.jpg
                    20210703_124003_copy_726x1612.jpg

To center the steering wheel, I looked for the hole in the rack and inserted a 6mm drill there.
                    Tire pressure set to 18 psi at the front and 20 psi at the rear.
                    Now I have set both sides to 0 °.
                    With the aluminum bar I then set the toe-in to a little more than 7mm on each side.
                    Measuring 1.5mm on 13 inch wheels is very imprecise, so I mounted a 1m aluminum bar in the middle.
                    This results in approx. 5mm at 0.3 ° toe-in
                    and 9mm at 0.5 ° toe-in ...
                    I hope you can see that in the pictures ...

When measuring, I noticed that the rear axle is not in the middle. About 3cm further out on one side than the other!

Do I only need to loosen the clamps to slide the axle?

André
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by wolf_rueffel; 04-07-21, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I wonder if in fact the propshaft drive flange is in the centre of the axle or whether that is offset, so if you centred the axle the propshaft would be biased to one side. I don't know the answer but someone here will!

Comment

The flange is offset. There is no side to side adjustment without removing and rewelding the spring plates on the axle.
                        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thanks,

Then stay the way it is...

Comment

When measuring, I noticed that the rear axle is not in the middle. About 3cm further out on one side than the other!

Just went out and measured the gap between the rear wheels and the chassis rails
                            Both were within less than 2mm of each other
                            Marina suspension Roadster

If yours is 30mm out then there is something wrong

Comment

My Marina based Roadster also has an offset rear axle. I've noticed in the past that the distances from the u-bolts to the hubs are unequal and I wouldn't be surprised if 3cm was the difference on mine too. I wasn't sure if the original builder had made a mistake but, on balance, decided that the rest of his build was good enough for him not to have fixed the axle without some thought. I have also considered centralising it by loosening the u-bolts and sliding the axle over a bit to centralise it. Is this possible / desirable? This thread has reminded me about this. Need to have a closer look tonight when I can get under the car. I'll take a couple of photos. I will be reading with interest to see if there are other comments on this subject.
                              Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Working...
                              X