Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cabrio V8 cooling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Cabrio V8 cooling 
    club member Club Member
    Hi My newly acquired Cabrio has a V8 engine fitted. Just sorting a few things out before I get it MOT'd. At the moment it has the Marlin supplied radiater, which seems a little small, although I am toying with the idea of getting a custom made aluminium radiator made up.
    The car has an electric fan at the front of the rad and a cooling fan at the rear driven from the engine pulleys. Space is very tight between the engine fan and the radiator and the hoses etc in this area. I'm thinking as I have the electric fan do I really need the engine fan as well. I wondered what other Marlins with V8 engines have.

2. #2 Re: Cabrio V8 cooling 
    club member Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Although I am a Roadster owner, my old school mechanic gave me some good advice some years ago.

I had removed my fan and just relied on the electric fan and had problems with overheating.

He suggested that, as the under bonnet room was at a premium, the original fan was helping to dissipate the heat.

I put the fan back on and have not had an overheating issue since.

The long and short of it, I would leave it on.

No doubt, others will have other ideas but this has worked for me on both my Toyota powered engine and my current Marina 1.3 based.

Regards

Adrian

3. #3 Re: Cabrio V8 cooling 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Sounds about right. I read on a Landy off road forum that the mechanical fan contributed to engine cooling due to the constant flow of air over the alloy block and heads. Those guys tend to fit twin electric fans with a cut out switch for when they drive through 4ft deep puddles to save filling the engine compartment! So they loose the benefit of the mechanical fan.

4. #4 Re: Cabrio V8 cooling 
    club member Club Member
    Sounds like I need to leave it on thanks all.

5. #5 Re: Cabrio V8 cooling 
    club member Club Member
    Hi - I am amazed that there is space for the fan behind the radiator. The build manual says to remove it, and cut off the nose of the shaft. There is then only a small gap to the radiator. Do you have a smaller radiator which is set further forward, I wonder? It is generally believed that a fan works better by sucking rather than blowing, ie better behind the radiator. With that in mind I looked at fitting electric fans behind my radiator, but it was impossible. So I remain with a front mounted fan and an assortment of other devices to keep the temperature down. The Rover V8 is well known for running rather warm, so if yours is behaving, LEAVE WELL ALONE!!! Enjoy your car! Dave.

6. #6 Re: Cabrio V8 cooling 
    club member Club Member
    The radiator is squeezed between the nose cone and the up rights on the chassis with no spare room. It misses everything obviously but it looks like the mechanical fan has had problems in the past. Most of the radiator cooling elements have been flattened but luckily its still watertight. I'll see how it goes I may get a new aluminium radiator made up.

7. #7 Re: Cabrio V8 cooling 
    club member Club Member
    Suggest you get it MOT'd and try it. Just the weather for runs out now.
    Liz

8. #8 Re: Cabrio V8 cooling 
    club member Club Member
    it coud be the size off the rad i have one that you can come and mesure

9. #9 Re: Cabrio V8 cooling 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slatept View Post
    It misses everything obviously but it looks like the mechanical fan has had problems in the past. Most of the radiator cooling elements have been flattened but luckily its still watertight.
    If the radiator is damaged can the air still get through it?
    You may be surprised how far an engine can move forwards, distorting the mounts, under heavy braking.

10. #10 Re: Cabrio V8 cooling 
    If the fins have been flattened, it will limit the flow, for sure. One of the ‘tasks’ when servicing customers air-con was to ‘comb’ the fins to improve air-flow through.
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157