'Hockey Stick' plastic edge trim!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Hockey Stick' plastic edge trim!

Of course, will do - but don't hold your breath!

I'm now trying ships chandlers and caravan refurbishers for heaven's sakes...

Comment

Dratt I only got back today fron Malvern under water, Phoenix looks like a good bet or you could try one of those rubber casting kits that you see at some shows although not at Malvern and I cant remember the company name.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Ben.

Yes, Phoenix is a possibility and they are checking for me as I write! (Alan mentioned them above - (rarebits4classics is a no-go tho', Alan!))

I couldn't cast this particular moulding as it is an extrusion - nice idea for other shapes tho' (Dad-in-law is seriously into casting lead soldiers - yawn - but I could suddenly begin to take an interest if it could be useful... (only kidding, dil))

Comment

Sounds like a MAJOR rebuild !
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

HA HA Major rebuild and tin soldiers.....Whats the chance of getting pops inlaw to model a Marlin for our troops

Comment

Wow, that's a thought!

I have to say he doesn't actually do much ORIGINAL modelling - he usually just makes copies of parts that his troops might be missing so that he can make up complete pieces; arms, rifles, that sort of thing! It tends to be pretty small stuff, although he does also makes complete soldiers - although even these are only about 2.5" high.

In theory, if one of the near-Marlin models (there's something about this on another thread) was modified to more closely resemble a Berli or Roadster, etc, then castings could be made from this.

I suspect though, that as far as DIL's production-scale is concerned, the model would have to be pretty small or perhaps made in parts - a real model kit-car!

I'll look into it!

Comment

If DIL wanted to make several model Marlins I think there would be plenty of takers- Any one else interested?

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                  Yes! We could even consider adding them to the Club goods. What do you think Donnie? Bit of dosh for DIL and some happy owners.....

Comment

Hey! Nothing like pressure!

No-go with DIL, I'm afraid; max size he can handle is around 70mm long - would make a very small car! It wouldn't be a case of a straight copy either since a model Marlin doesn't exist, so an available, different, car model would require a fair bit of tweaking first (not really his cup of tea). Also, he has too many casualties of war to fix...

Sounds like a neat project tho'!!! I've done a little investigation and I think it could be tackled something like this:
                    (1) Obtain a model Merc SSK - around ?5-ish on Ebay with a little luck
                    (2) Spray with silicone release agent, and coat with air-drying latex rubber. Build up a few layers and peel off latex mould when set.
                    (3) Pour in casting mix (again easy-to-use stuff on Ebay, much stronger than plaster-of-P). Peel off mould to reveal copy of SSK.
                    (4) Use files to remove - and filler to add - extra bits to make model resemble Marlin.
                    (5) Spray with silicone release agent and repeat casting process!

The final casting could be either painted, or else coated with a 'metalising' finish which are availble to resemble pewter, bronze, etc.

This is a project I'd actually love to tackle, tho' I have lots of jobs to do at the moment (at least 20 tons of soil still to move from front of house to back - by barrow), not least on a real Marlin!

Giving it some thought, tho'. Anyone else fancy a winter project like this?

Comment

err what was the original Q. I bet you wish you hadnt asked about jolly hockey sticks.

Comment

I forget what the original request was - and darned if I'm looking through all that stuff above to find out...

Comment

Message originally posted by: Anita Bush
                          Donnie,

have you thought of obtaining some of that "hockey stick" trim to finish off your dashboard and make it look neat?

Comment

Ok, now I'm getting cross...

Latest is that Phoenix have asked me for a sketch to see if they can match it up with a couple of possibilities they have in stock. Another company, Plastestrip, are sending me a sample of their 'hockey stick'.

You never know...

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                              Get off the line, Anita - there's only room for one chick on this Forum.

Comment

(Phew! Good job neither of these ladies know that I'm the spitting image of George Clooney...)

Comment

Working...
                                X