Suggestions for 215/60r15 tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for 215/60r15 tyres

Anyone got suggestions on this size of tyre, not wanting budget types, but neither £300 per corner! Continentals came up at £130, some Dunlops at £250. Not much choice from normal suppliers.

Have checked out 205/65’s as well (OK on 7” rims) which gives more choice almost the same diameter, but slightly large and I have little clearance so a risky purchase.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Suggestions for 215/60r15 tyres

Found this review, might help

Nexen N Blue HD Plus (46) 87% 83% 80% 79% 81% 85%
    Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme (64) 83% 86% 82% 77% 87% 86%
    Kumho Solus KH15 (24) 76% 69% 71% 60% 75% 80%
    Goodyear Excellence (119) 79% 71% 72% 71% 72% 74%
    Yokohama AS430 (4) 85% 75% 70% 50% 63% 83%
    Goodyear Eagle NCT5 (90) 75% 61% 68% 61% 77% 69%
    Pirelli P6000 (172) 66% 47% 55% 48% 67% 61%

Comment

Run 205/55/17 Kumho's on my Mini Cooper S. I know its not an identical match but I find that they are really good all round tyres and a good price.

I'm expecting to re-shoe my Cabrio next year and expect I'll be trying to get Kumho's for that too.
      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

I have 205/60/15 Continental EcoContact on the Sportster, tyre choice has reduced a lot in the last 10 years for that size, but these work pretty well. I used to get Yokohama's as they had lower tyre noise than other choices at the time. If I wanted more choice I'd have to go to a 16" wheel, where I'd probably get Micheling PS4 as I'm very happy with PS4S on my daily driver.

There are Continental ContiPremiumContact 2 in 215/60/15 on mytyres those would be my choice from those available, not tried Kumho before but I hear good things

If you want a laugh see how much the P6000's are on mytyres in 215/60/15 - £1039 per corner
        BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
        http://www.modelog.co.uk/
        http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

Hi Patrick
          Here's a good place to look for your current size, although agreed your choice is limited.
          https://www.camskill.co.uk/m138b0s79...0_15_205_60R15

Also check out National tyres online as they often have prices beating mytyres on promotions.

I can recommend Uniroyal Rainsport and Rain Expert tyres. However after checking for you, they are not available in your size .
          Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 27-06-21, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I had Uniroyal's on previous Cabrio and would have them again .I find the prices interesting as having two new Bridgestones fitted to 'our' SLK at £180 the pair I wonder how they can justify some quotes even given the limited demand for some sizes now.

Comment

Thanks all, very helpful.
              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Auto Express do an annual test of tyres to come up with a top ten in various categories, google it. A couple of years ago I was looking for 205/65-15 tyres for my Berlinetta, and went for Continental Premium Contact as a good balance of price and performance based on reviews. I've only done 3k miles since but I'm happy with them so far.

Comment

By the way. A lot of people maybe unaware that Uniroyal tyres are made in the same factory as Continental in Germany.

Comment

I just crawled under the Sportster and I can see the rear tyres are occasionally rubbing on the chassis, paint is still there so it's obviously a light rub. Maybe I should go to 205's, would fit better under the front cycle wings then. It's very tight at the moment with the old (1998!) rubber. I'll check rolling diameters, don't want to have to try and recalibrate the SPA electronic speedo thing!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just to add to the information (or confusion!) I use Falken Ziex Ecorun 205/65 R15 tyres on my Cabrio. They seem to perform well and the wear rate on the front is minimal. A bit higher on the back but that's probably partly due to a small amount of toe-in.

Comment

I meant to add that these tyres were less than £80 each fitted but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
                          I meant to add that these tyres were less than £80 each fitted but that was 3 or 4 years ago.
                          Thanks. I've noticed there is a lot more choice in the 205's and from decent brands at sensible prices.

Comment

I've been measuring, allowing for ±3% growth in the tyre diameter (is that correct?) under load and the 65 profile will take the tyre into direct contact with the bolts that hold the wing on, so that's not good! Even ignoring that they only just clear. 60 profile gives me back some sensible clearance.

I have to wonder if the wings are closer to the wheels on this car if the factory spec is up to 205/65x15.

Comment

Working...
                            X