Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Boot bulkhead creation

1. #1 Boot bulkhead creation 
    club member Club Member
    Hi all,
    Any guidance on the construction of a bulkhead to close off the boot area? I am very much more comfortable with wood rather than metal, and completely ignorant of grp.
    Thoughts and photos appreciated.

K

2. #2 Re: Boot bulkhead creation 
    I made a floor to cover the tank in my orange roadster, you could use a similar method.

First made a cardboard version, which enables you to get it right by trial and error, cutting, trimming and adding car as needed. Then used that as a template to cut some MDF, ply is probably better reinforced with 1x1", sanded, sealed then covered with heat shrink matt vinyl but some stick on matting maybe better. Used panel edging rubber seals so it was a tight fit.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/carpet-and-matting
    Attached Images
    Last edited by David; 29-06-2021 at 04:43 PM.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

3. #3 Re: Boot bulkhead creation 
    club member Club Member
    I made a double bulkhead, the inner is ally and the boot side plywood. This gave me a nice space to hide the wiring loom (Amp, electric aerial, washer bottle stuff etc) I will try to find a picture of the finished boot insides.
    Attached Images

4. #4 Re: Boot bulkhead creation 
    club member Club Member
    Can I ask you about that glove box? How was that constructed?

5. #5 Re: Boot bulkhead creation 
    club member Club Member
    Its an ally box which screws to the transmission tunnel. Theres a little gap for the electric window switches .