Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning

1. #11 Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning 
    club member Club Member
    Update 3/7/21.
    First to answer the questions from Doug, Paul & Dogoncrazy. Have checked the wishbone alignment with a piece of 10mm rod, and it drops through both bushes at the same time easily. The brackets are not shimmed & I used the Ford rubbery bushes. The steel insert in the bush was not seized to the mounting bolt. Thanks to Peter Licence for his invaluble advice, and especially to Cabrioman John who has saved the day by finding a pair of replacement brackets, thus saving me the hassle of finding an engineering company to make up replacement brackets. The wonders of the Marlin Owners Club!
    I have attached a couple of photo's showing the failed bracket, and also the other bracket which is showing signs of a fracture starting along the edge of the weld to the lower bolt. I have carefully checked the other side wishbone brackets and there are no signs of any problems. I can only conclude that there might be a slight misalignment in the chassis wishbone bracket mounting points which caused the failure. I will see how they line up on reassembly.
    Regards Mike
    Attached Images

2. #12 Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Hi Mike. Glad that you have been able to source some replacement brackets. Is the crack in the second bracket next to the bottom bolt facing the front of the car, or the top bolt facing towards the chassis turret? Apart from the obvious location of the cracks next to the weld HAZ am still trying to get my head around a possible cause of the failures. Peter.

3. #13 Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning 
    club member Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    Could just be the effect of HAZ, you don't know how far the zone extends.
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 170bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

4. #14 Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning 
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_cussen View Post
    Could just be the effect of HAZ, you don't know how far the zone extends.
    That’s true. Those welds seem excessively large for a tack weld just to stop the bolt head turning?

5. #15 Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greyV8pete View Post
    Hi Mike. Glad that you have been able to source some replacement brackets. Is the crack in the second bracket next to the bottom bolt facing the front of the car, or the top bolt facing towards the chassis turret? Apart from the obvious location of the cracks next to the weld HAZ am still trying to get my head around a possible cause of the failures. Peter.
    Hi Peter,
    The crack is on the bottom bolt facing the front of the car.
    Regards Mike

6. #16 Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning 
    frequent forum contributor
    I'm not a cabrio owner so excuse my stupid question but going back to your first photo on this thread your ARB bush looks a bit odd to me? The one at the TCA.
    Last edited by Peterx; 04-07-2021 at 10:26 AM.

7. #17 Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning 
    Quote Originally Posted by mike woodley View Post
    Hi Peter,
    The crack is on the bottom bolt facing the front of the car.
    Regards Mike
    Thanks Mike. So the failure started top left and bottom right when viewed from the wheel. Interesting but still confusing. Definitely an area to inspect regularly! Peter.

8. #18 Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning 
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterx View Post
    I'm not a cabrio owner so excuse my stupid question but going back to your first photo on this thread your ARB bush looks a bit odd to me? The one at the TCA.
    Hi Peterx. Its the standard Sierra OE bush setup. They are quite soggy and most people fit uprated ones. I recommend the Superflex ones with the OE washers. I fitted them originally to my old 2.0GL Sierra and subsequently to my Marlin Hunter. It transforms the steering. Peter.

9. #19 Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greyV8pete View Post
    Hi Peterx. Its the standard Sierra OE bush setup. They are quite soggy and most people fit uprated ones. I recommend the Superflex ones with the OE washers. I fitted them originally to my old 2.0GL Sierra and subsequently to my Marlin Hunter. It transforms the steering. Peter.
    Hi Peterx,
    Peter L. is correct I have the Ford rubber TCA bushes.
    Mike

10. #20 Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning 
    Hi Mike. If you want to retain your existing set up I have a set as new (4 pieces) of the OE Ford ones that I removed from my Compbrake adjustable TCAs that you can have FOC. Peter.