Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cabrio - hunter stress fracture safety warning

I'm not a cabrio owner so excuse my stupid question but going back to your first photo on this thread your ARB bush looks a bit odd to me? The one at the TCA.
    Last edited by Peterx; 04-07-21, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike woodley View Post
      Hi Peter,
      The crack is on the bottom bolt facing the front of the car.
      Regards Mike
      Thanks Mike. So the failure started top left and bottom right when viewed from the wheel. Interesting but still confusing. Definitely an area to inspect regularly! Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterx View Post
        I'm not a cabrio owner so excuse my stupid question but going back to your first photo on this thread your ARB bush looks a bit odd to me? The one at the TCA.
        Hi Peterx. Its the standard Sierra OE bush setup. They are quite soggy and most people fit uprated ones. I recommend the Superflex ones with the OE washers. I fitted them originally to my old 2.0GL Sierra and subsequently to my Marlin Hunter. It transforms the steering. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
          Hi Peterx. Its the standard Sierra OE bush setup. They are quite soggy and most people fit uprated ones. I recommend the Superflex ones with the OE washers. I fitted them originally to my old 2.0GL Sierra and subsequently to my Marlin Hunter. It transforms the steering. Peter.
          Hi Peterx,
          Peter L. is correct I have the Ford rubber TCA bushes.
          Mike

Comment

Hi Mike. If you want to retain your existing set up I have a set as new (4 pieces) of the OE Ford ones that I removed from my Compbrake adjustable TCAs that you can have FOC. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
              Hi Mike. If you want to retain your existing set up I have a set as new (4 pieces) of the OE Ford ones that I removed from my Compbrake adjustable TCAs that you can have FOC. Peter.
              Hi Peter,
              That would be great. I have replaced mine a couple of times, so they will always come in handy. Regards Mike

Comment

Hi what is "HAZ" an abbreviation of in the previous posts?

Comment

HAZ = Heat Affected Zone. It goes brittle after welding compared with the normal ductile material.

Comment

I didn't want to ask, risk of appearing to be an absolute thicko!!! :-()

Comment

It occurs to me that the fracture could have been caused by an impact at some time in the past. The corrosion on the breaks suggests it has been broken for a while. The tear in front of the bottom front bolt coupled with the break behind the rear bolts could have been caused by an impact on the tyre forcing the arm up and towards the rear. Perhaps, by hitting a rut at high speed damaging the mountings without causing significant perturbance to the car.

Your discovery at low speed over bumpy ground and turning revealing the earlier trauma.
                      Paul

Comment

Hi All,
                        Car back together now, with brackets courtesy of John T. Have been out for a run. Car fells more stable, and it feels "tighter". Will need to get the tracking checked, although it feels O.K.
                        Have attached a photo of the back of the other bracket I removed. (This photo is taken through a magnifier.) The bracket looked reasonable from the underside of the bracket, until I cleaned the paint off! The fracture was starting on the other side of the metal to the fracture next to the bolt in an earlier photo i posted. There is no way of checking this without taking the brackets off and removing the paint. I intend to check the other side brackets.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi All,
                          Have just had the tracking checked, it was well out. Now sorted the car is an even better drive.
                          Mike.

Comment

Working...
                          X