Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing wiper wheel box - advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing wiper wheel box - advice please!

I would appreciate some advice. One of the wiper wheel boxes on my Roadster has seized and needs replacement.

Q1. I've managed to remove the back plate and it's clearly stamped 72781A. Can anyone identify this and/or tell me of a direct equivalent that's currently available?

Q2. Please see the attached image. This is the offside of the car with the wiper motor removed and the first section of tubing disconnected from the wheel box. The problem is that the wheel boxes have obviously been fixed to the screen base clamp before this was fitted to the scuttle (they don't go through the scuttle as shown in the Marlin 'build manual'), and I can therefore see no alternative except to remove the base clamp to change the wheel box. The base clamp is fixed with five bolts (you can see two of them in the photo). I propose removing the bolts, then knifing the sealant between the windscreen and the base clamp, hoping this will allow me to remove the base clamp whilst leaving the screen undisturbed. Does this make sense? Has anyone else had to do this? Has anyone got any better ideas?

Q3. Assuming the above works ... what type of sealant should I use when re-fixing the base clamp? The current sealant looks like butyl rubber rather than silicone so I propose to replace like-for-like. Any comments?

All advice welcomed. Thank You!
    Attached Files

Re: Removing wiper wheel box - advice please!

I used Allegro wheel boxes on my first Roadster as they gave greater sweep {think they were 32 teeth ] as opposed to the Marina which were 40. Hope my memory is as good as I think! I also seem to recall a member using MGB wheel boxes but don't know any further info on those.
    I got mine from a scrap Allegro, so probably no chance there, but SVC I would think may have something suitable.
    The Allegro items were also the correct length.

Comment

Should also add I fitted as per the manual - so through the scuttle.

Comment

CBS have various wiper wheelboxes https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/wiper-...rid&orderBy=15.

Mine are fitted as per the manual and I would expect yours should be too.

Comment

Gentlemen. Thanks for your help so far. I'm fully aware of the wheel boxes supplied by SVC, Holden, Car Builder, etc. The problem is that none of them, as far as I can see, reference an equivalent to 72781A. I have emails in to SVC and Rimmer Bros, and am awaiting replies.
          Last edited by AndrewKB; 02-07-21, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Hi

I changed mine on the second build.

I asked myself, how often did I use the glove box?

Never was my answer and so I ended up putting the wiper motor behind the dash.

Meant it took the curve out from scuttle and relieved the space in the engine compartment.

1573831683508.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
              Hi

I changed mine on the second build.

I asked myself, how often did I use the glove box?

Never was my answer and so I ended up putting the wiper motor behind the dash.

Meant it took the curve out from scuttle and relieved the space in the engine compartment.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12416[/ATTACH]
              All noted, but I am trying to keep my current installation (which is all in front of the scuttle). All I want to do is to replace one wheel box!! Who'd have thought it could be such a problem? ;-)

Comment

Some on eBay, here.
                Item #373449176559
                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                  Some on eBay, here.
                  Item #373449176559
                  Brilliant! Thank You! Bought! (But can't understand why I couldn't find them when I trawled eBay).

Now I just need any advice on removing the screen base clamp ...

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewKB View Post
                    Brilliant! Thank You! Bought! (But can't understand why I couldn't find them when I trawled eBay).

Now I just need any advice on removing the screen base clamp ...
                    Having changed a couple of screens then the only way is as you describe...knife through the sealer, remove bolts and carefully separate the clamp. The sealer always goes further than you expect so separating the pieces can be a tense affair..!
                    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Patience, loadsa Stanley blades, more patience, careful of your fingers with moving Stanley blades, and did I mention patience ?

Tea breaks are good and very useful too

Good Luck DC

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll get a new pack of Stanley knife blades before I start ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                          Should also add I fitted as per the manual - so through the scuttle.

Early cars including the Triumphs used a short shaft wheel box that mounted in the clamp later options included using a long shaft wheel box that
                          could be mounted from behind the scuttle inside the car.
                          You need to match the teeth number on the wheel box to replicate the sweep of the wiper.

You done well to get the back plate off in situ!!

If you release one corner of the screen clamp you could try using something similar to a cheese cutting wire lubricated with WD 40 or something similar.
                          The sealant is probably RTV that they now use on modern bonded windscreens.
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Rather than remove the wheel box, why not try to get the shaft moving with some penetrating oil. Leave it to soak overnight and then give it a good "waggle " with the wiper arm attached. I'd be surprised if it didn't free up and then you can get some grease in from below. Much easier than removing it and worth trying first.

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                              Early cars including the Triumphs used a short shaft wheel box that mounted in the clamp later options included using a long shaft wheel box that
                              could be mounted from behind the scuttle inside the car.
                              You need to match the teeth number on the wheel box to replicate the sweep of the wiper.

You done well to get the back plate off in situ!!

If you release one corner of the screen clamp you could try using something similar to a cheese cutting wire lubricated with WD 40 or something similar.
                              The sealant is probably RTV that they now use on modern bonded windscreens.
                              Ben - Thanks for the info. The cheese wire idea is a good one, but I've now managed to remove the clamp with a Stanley knife (and patience). Luckily, the builder (not me) had put quite a small bead of sealant between the screen glass and the bottom of the clamp, and had pointed the top separately. So, once I'd knifed-through the top sealant, prising the bottom of the clamp off was quite easy. And no damage to windscreen or clamp, which is a relief. Now I just have to decide whether to install Riv-Nuts to replace the loose nuts on the inside - I probably will.

Comment

Working...
                              X