Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Removing wiper wheel box - advice please!

1. #21 Re: Removing wiper wheel box - advice please! 
    club member
    Andrew. Someone told me, I'm not sure who that silicone sealer can react with the inner bit of a laminate windscreen and turn it cloudy. I have no idea if that is true but you might be better using butyl rubber sealant
    Tony

2. #22 Re: Removing wiper wheel box - advice please! 
    club member Club Member AndrewKB's Avatar
    OK, another related question ... the Marlin build manual says to use a silicone or nitrile rubber type sealant for fixing the windscreen, but most people on here say to use Sikaflex 221, which is a polyurethane sealant. Others have used silicone and say that it works OK, despite Tony's word of caution above. I have used a butyl rubber sealant but it seems to be taking a VERY long time to 'skin-over' and harden, so I'm thinking that I may have to clean-out the visible glass/clamp junction and re-point it using a sealant which hardens more quickly (at least within 24 hours). So ... could someone please confirm that Sikaflex 221 does harden within 24 hours (we'll ignore compatibility issues for now).