Fuse Ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse Ratings

I'm well into the re-wire of my Cabrio with lots of lovely new wire in the custom made harness, new relays and fuses....but the fuse boxes supplied have only either 15a or 7.5a...and I have electric windows. Admittedly, only two, from the rear doors of the original donor Sierra, but as they are wired in the harness as part of the accessories circuitry....and research suggests a 30A fuse for this circuit in the donor. What do you think?

Re: Fuse Ratings

The Sierra does have a 30A fuse for the power windows but presumably that makes provision for all four windows being operated at the same time. As you say, the Cabrio only has two and I would have thought that if you avoid operating both windows at exactly the same time, bearing in mind that peak current is usually drawn as the motor first starts, then a 15A fuse should be ok.

Comment

My recollection is that our Hunter had two individual supplies both with 7.5 Amp fuses, the original 5.0 Amp feeds proving inadequate, possibly due to the motors simply being stalled at the limits of their travel. The Cabrio has a 20 Amp fuse on a shared supply but 15 Amp as suggested would be a good starting point.
      My windows were becoming sluggish due to dried grease on the mechanism - much better now with some fresh molly!

Comment

Agree with John. My windows got very sluggish to the point where the drivers side needed manual assistance to get it up. I use PMA silicon lubricant and they shoot up now. Keep 'em greased!

Comment

My Sierra based car successfully uses a 20A fuse for both windows. I have no reason to think that a 15A would not work as well.

It is important to remember that the fuse is to protect the device and the wiring. Usually I would expect the loom wires to be sufficient to conduct the current from the rated fuse but not more. So please be very cautious about fitting a larger fuse.
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X