Cam case breather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam case breather?

The i4 8 valve DOHC as fitted to Sierras post Pinto (pre Zetec) were mostly EFi...but the carburated ones have a cam cover breather that feeds into the air cleaner. The Efi may do the same? QUESTION: if one wants to fit a Kand N filter, what does can one do about the cam cover breather? I could drill a hole in the bottom of the housing and fabricate a union...or I could ignore the problem...advice please!
    Bill

Re: Cam case breather?

If the round plastic cam-case breather looks like this one – Bottom right corner – That thick black rubber tube simply down trails alongside the engine and vents to air underneath the car. I’m assuming it connected into the inlet manifold in an earlier life, but any attempt to reinstate this (by me) has resulted in lumpy, or non-existent idling, so I’ve left it as it was! Fortunately very little in the way of fumes exit from it as far as I can tell.

Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

Hi Bill,
      on my DOHC engine before the move to Zetec I had a filter something like the one in this link https://classicalfa.com/750-063-1-pa...-weber-36-dcd/
      I made a hole in the bottom of the filter and stuffed the pipe through it, retained by a jubilee clip in the filter to stop it falling out. Never had any issues.
      Bit of a bodge but it did the job.
      Chris

Comment

Buy one of these and drill a hole in the filter case.

breather elbow.jpg

Available on eBay and I'm sure other places eg this was the first on the list https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362719228...QAAOSw8A5gNdGw

Comment

Thank you all for your encouraging replies. What I did....I took the cam case breather right angle elbow bend from a spare i4 cam cover I have, drilled a 16mm hole in the underside of the KN and secured the elbow using a home made neoprene washer and a 22mm length of the same rubber hose that I used in slightly longer form to reconnect to the cam case breather. Basically a bit of each of Jon's and Chris's solutions with a confidence boost from kawahi.
          I haven't fired it up yet as the electrics are still a work on progress.

Comment

Working...
          X