Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hunter rear springs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Hunter rear springs 
    club member
    I have recently acquired a Hunter, first registered April, 1995, chassis number T-4064.
    I need to replace the rear springs. Can anyone tell me what springs I require. The engine is a Ford Sierra

2. #2 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    club member Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    My Cabrio uses standard springs from a 1989 Sierra 2.0 DOHC
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 170bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

3. #3 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    Welcome to the MOC.

Please contact me on the email as in Pitstop and I may be able to give you some background on your car

Rgds Dave Cunnington Club Archivist

4. #4 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    club member Club Member
    Hi
    Rear springs on Cabrio/Hunter are standard Sierra. With possible exception of Cosworth and estate, all Sierras used the same springs. They are readily available on ebay, but genuine Ford are non-existent. I bought some a couple of years ago, as the bump stops had disintegrated, and it seemed sensible to change the springs at the same time. I found genuine Ford bump stops! The ride height may need adjusting after the springs are changed, or they may settle. I'm still waiting for mine to settle! I think the springs can be changed by undoing the shock absorber and lowering the swinging arm, so not too difficult. Can't be sure, as I got the garage to do it, as my back doesn't like any heavy work!
    Enjoy your car - Dave

5. #5 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    club member
    Many thanks for your responses. I had thought it probably would be Sierra springs. However there are several options on-line for different Sierra springs!!! Some appear to be much longer than others. I will probably go for the shorter springs.

6. #6 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    club member Club Member
    The springs I bought were KYB K-Flex RA5190, if that is any help. I don't recall different lengths, but there are a lot of variables in springs, which can be used to balance one another out, ie length, diameter, number of turns, wire diameter, tensile strength. Would short springs be stiffer than long ones on average? In which case I'd opt for long on a light car like the Cabrio. If you think this is confusing, wait till you start on the front springs!!!!! Dave.

7. #7 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    club member Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    That is interesting, I've just looked at my Marlin build manual (dated 2001) and is does not mention cutting the springs, but does tell you how to adjust the ride height since the spring platform seems to be adjustable.
    spring.jpg
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 170bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

8. #8 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    Moderator Club Member
    My manual also has no reference to cutting springs, only has mention of adjusting platform same as Chris.

9. #9 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    club member Club Member
    I gave up waiting for the new rear springs to settle, and adjusted the spring seats. The seats are now at the top of their adjustment, about 2 inches higher, and the ride height is still slightly higher than the previous springs. I can only conclude that there are different spring lengths available, all purporting to be standard Sierra. The difference must just be down to different makes. Unfortunately, as the garage did the job, I did not compare the old and new springs when they were all off the car. If I want to lower the rear any more and gain some adjustment, I'll have to cut a turn off the new springs. So, if you have a choice, buy shorter springs! Dave

10. #10 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_cussen View Post
    That is interesting, I've just looked at my Marlin build manual (dated 2001) and is does not mention cutting the springs, but does tell you how to adjust the ride height since the spring platform seems to be adjustable.
    spring.jpg
    Yes they are adjustable but that sketch is wrong. The spring seat has the nut welded on the top outer surface and the locknut fits on top of it. You need two spanners to adjust the height. That said you cannot adjust them with the springs in place as the rubber pads that are shaped to accept the cut spring end become dislodged as does the bottom of the spring end, which fits similarly into a shaped recess in the suspension arm. So adjustment of ride height needs a strip down every time! Peter.