Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hunter rear springs

1. #11 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    club member Club Member
    Hi Peter,
    I cut them to the Marlin specified length. I am not sure if Mark Matthews told me the length or I read it in the manual, but i cut them at the thicker more resistant end. So no they do not feel stiffer, just take the minor bumps out without jumping around, and as we sit almost over the back wheels, it makes quite a difference. Mike.

2. #12 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike woodley View Post
    Hi Peter,
    I cut them to the Marlin specified length. I am not sure if Mark Matthews told me the length or I read it in the manual, but i cut them at the thicker more resistant end. So no they do not feel stiffer, just take the minor bumps out without jumping around, and as we sit almost over the back wheels, it makes quite a difference. Mike.
    Hi Mike. When you say the thicker more resistant end do you mean that the wire diameter was smaller at one end or that the coils were closer together at the cut end? Peter.

3. #13 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    club member Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    That is interesting, I've just looked at my Marlin build manual (dated 2001) and is does not mention cutting the springs, but does tell you how to adjust the ride height since the spring platform seems to be adjustable.
    spring.jpg
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 170bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

4. #14 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    Moderator Club Member
    My manual also has no reference to cutting springs, only has mention of adjusting platform same as Chris.

5. #15 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    club member Club Member
    I gave up waiting for the new rear springs to settle, and adjusted the spring seats. The seats are now at the top of their adjustment, about 2 inches higher, and the ride height is still slightly higher than the previous springs. I can only conclude that there are different spring lengths available, all purporting to be standard Sierra. The difference must just be down to different makes. Unfortunately, as the garage did the job, I did not compare the old and new springs when they were all off the car. If I want to lower the rear any more and gain some adjustment, I'll have to cut a turn off the new springs. So, if you have a choice, buy shorter springs! Dave

6. #16 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_kitson View Post
    The springs I bought were KYB K-Flex RA5190, if that is any help. I don't recall different lengths, but there are a lot of variables in springs, which can be used to balance one another out, ie length, diameter, number of turns, wire diameter, tensile strength. Would short springs be stiffer than long ones on average? In which case I'd opt for long on a light car like the Cabrio. If you think this is confusing, wait till you start on the front springs!!!!! Dave.
    I have a pair of these but haven’t fitted them yet. Dimensions are below may be of use.
    KYB K-Flex RA5190
    Length 300mm (11 7/8”)
    Wire diameter 14mm (constant along length)
    Turns 6 1/2

Peter.
    Last edited by greyV8pete; 13-08-2021 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Turns inches symbol deleted

7. #17 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_cussen View Post
    That is interesting, I've just looked at my Marlin build manual (dated 2001) and is does not mention cutting the springs, but does tell you how to adjust the ride height since the spring platform seems to be adjustable.
    spring.jpg
    Yes they are adjustable but that sketch is wrong. The spring seat has the nut welded on the top outer surface and the locknut fits on top of it. You need two spanners to adjust the height. That said you cannot adjust them with the springs in place as the rubber pads that are shaped to accept the cut spring end become dislodged as does the bottom of the spring end, which fits similarly into a shaped recess in the suspension arm. So adjustment of ride height needs a strip down every time! Peter.

8. #18 Re: Hunter rear springs 
    club member Club Member
    Fortunately the garage kept the old springs for me as they were still serviceable. They measure length 290mm, wire 14mm, 6.5 turns, so no real difference to above dimensions. Are my new springs stronger steel? Curiouser and curiouser said Alice!!! Dave