Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: DRL152K Marina based roadster rebuild

1. #31 Re: DRL152K Marina based roadster rebuild 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I’ve been looking at those seats for my Sportster, a local trimmer reckons he can make some nice tie on cushions for them. Are they OK?
    They are suprisingly comfortable even without seat pads! They seem to be generally well made although a few of the rivets, used to hold the base to the top, are in a bit squiff. Easily corrected if you have set as many rivets as I have...
    I paid less than what the seats are advertised from as he made me an offer after watching them for a while on Ebay. So - yes - I am happy with them.

In my other car (Pembleton) I used seats from Kirkey Racing. They are much, much stronger, originating in the stock car market. But they are also much, much more expensive. They are also less comfortable. I had seat pads made for them.

DSCF2262 by Robin Martin, on Flickr

It's a question of you pays yer money and makes yer choice - as they say.

Cheers, Robin

2. #32 Re: DRL152K Marina based roadster rebuild 
    Thanks Robin.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

3. #33 Re: DRL152K Marina based roadster rebuild 
    club member Club Member
    Engine build now complete. Been a bit delayed with problems caused by poor quality parts. As the MGB is so popular you wouldn't think it would be a problem but there is pretty much nothing available from the "normal" aftermarket and everything seems to come from China. Having said that some of it is very good, but some of it absolute rubbish...
    I have fitted a fancy rocker cover as the original was a bit bent, but in fact it is not a great fit so may go back to the original. And a new distributor which has an advance curve (allegedly) tweaked for stage 2. Was rather cheap though, although it looks made well enough, but it will be another 12 months or so before I can verify its operation. In the meantime I will have a go a stripping and rebuilding the original.
    Some pictures.
    engine10 by Robin Martin, on Flickr
    engine11 by Robin Martin, on Flickr
    The observant may notice the non-standard engine mounting rubbers. The original Marina ones are like rocking horse poo and so I have used Land Rover ones as suggested by the original Marlin build manual. These have the added advantage of lowering the engine slightly which I hope will give enough clearance for the fron carb to fit under the bonnet. The original bonnet had a couple of unslightly bulges.

4. #34 Re: DRL152K Marina based roadster rebuild 
    That’s a nice looking donk.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

5. #35 Re: DRL152K Marina based roadster rebuild 
    club member Club Member
    Very smart! When you mentioned bonnet bulges my 1800TC has L-R mountings and my carbs clear the bonnet but without going out to look I think the black spacers are narrower on mine and the front carb has a thin pancake filter. But mine is a Roadster.