Cabrio suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio suspension

I have a Cabrio Hunter 1996, with Ford Pinto engine and running gear. However the front suspension is a hybrid setup and am unable what components were used for the upper ball joint( which have failed). I would be very grateful for any information as to the make of joint and where they can be sourced. Many thanks. Phil Griffin.

Re: Cabrio suspension

Phil on almost all models of the Cabrio/ Hunter, the top ball joint is from a Metro from 1984 onwards these have a larger dia taper pin than earlier ones. Quinton hazel part no QSJ1060S Motaquip part no VSJ 473. The reason I say almost, there are a small number of cars fitted with a mini strut arrangement that protrudes from the inner wing.
    Danny.

Comment

Hi Danny - was interested in post above as intend to look at checking suspension on Sierra Berli. In the build manual the QH pt no for the ball joint is QSJ 970S is this the same as above ?

Comment

Hi Paul, That is interesting. My thoughts are that 970S is the early ( before 1984 ball joint ) The only way to be sure is to measure the diameter of the taper pin of the ones your car is fitted with. So the answer to your question must be no they are not the same. I am interested to know if your car is fitted with the early pre 1984 ball joint, as I have always assumed the front suspension on the Sierra Berlinetta to be the same as the Cabrio. I have double checked the part numbers I have listed above and they are correct for the Cabrio. Let me know what you find please.

Comment

Hi Danny, thank you for that information. Part numbers as well- impressive! Cheers, Phil.

Comment

Thanks Danny will let you know as have ordered 1060S !!

Comment

I have just measured an old part from my never throw anything away box. So for future reference for the Hunter / Cabrio top ball joint:

QSJ1060S
              Taper dimensions
              Thread end 14mm dia.
              Ball End 16mm dia.
              Taper length 16mm.

Peter.

Comment

Working...
              X