Demise of GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demise of GB

Our "wonderful" Transport Minister has gone along with the plan to remove the GB marking; changing it to "UK". The world knows GB.
    UK could be confused with Ukraine or Uzbekistan for example. He wants us to be "more inclusive". What a stupid, ill thought out idea/plan when Team GB is so well known and respected globally. Please write to him if you feel as angry as I do. The stainless G B is not being removed from Moll
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Re: Demise of GB

+1 from me

Comment

+ 1 from me too, listening to daily BBC news bulletins it appears we are becoming less united every day, perhaps they hope to reverse the trend!!

Comment

+1 from me too. Surprised they didn’t use WUK. (W as in woke!)

Comment

I would imagine it has more to do with the United States preferring the term United Kingdom.

But this is not really a car related discussion.
          Paul

Comment

I'm not convinced that vehicle markings are "...not really a car related discussion". I specifically place the post in General Discussion as it is not vehicle specific. If you feel that you do not wish to allow my post then I am happy for the moderators to remove it. I can understand that Paul may wish to align with the USA as is his right. But it is not for me.
            I have written to the Secretary of State at the DfT with my objections to the change. Once I have let them peruse it I will place it here.
            The report from DfT did not only cover the GB to UK change but further changes to the data required on our number plates. Those with the nice silver/white on black number plates will need to change them in certain circumstances. It will be a good money spinner for number plate companies.
            Surely HMG, with their economic, health and ecological problems, should be concentrating on more important issues rather than this cosmetic exercise.

Comment

I recently checked with the USofA post office as I had to give a postal address to someone from Houston, apparently they think ‘UK’ is Ukraine and therefore recommend always using GB in the address.
              Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

Welcome to the Brexit Sir.
                these minor changes to the rules could have so easily avoided.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

A few comments of this:

Whenever you use an online form and it asks you for your country, this is invariably the United Kingdom in the list available in the dropdown, you are not given the option of Great Britain.

We are actually the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Well, for the moment that is. Regardless, UK is an appropriate term for who we are. If we just say we are GB, then no wonder Northern Ireland questions our commitment to them.

I worked extensively as an IT Technical Architect for large US retail companies and they all used UK in their databases, not GB, and they all knew UK meant us as against the Ukraine. There again on letters I've sent home when abroad I always put the full United Kingdom, not just UK.

My registration on the Cabrio states ENG, if I take the car abroad I'll just slap on the appropriate UK, GB or whatever they eventually dream up. The way the country is going my ENG may end up correct.......
                  2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

I cannot disagree with you W. The country designators for the internet are generally USA derived. Oddly, when I go to a web site for a purchase, "country" is generally UK. When it comes time to pay however the currency is GBP and not UKP. For those of us not working in the IT environment we don't use UK as much as GB (Team GB) or yourself like my wife ENG.
                    I have the St Pyrans flag on the car too demonstrating it is based in Kernow, the Duchy of Cornwall. Friends have CYM on their Marlin.
                    I guess we have to work with everyone's slant on labels and insignia.
                    I reckon this post has run its course now. I'll cut along and get my UK plates and a SCO badge too.
                    Cheers all. Hope to see you at STO. )

Comment

Working...
                    X