20 years in storage, owner would like some advice/help to restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 years in storage, owner would like some advice/help to restore

I was at a ‘Vintage’ car rally at the weekend, ‘posing’ with the Marlin, (as you do) when an ex-MOC member came up to introduce himself.

It seems he has a 1979 roadster which has been ‘on the blocks’ for 20-odd years and he is keen to get it back on the road. After this amount of time he doesn’t feel able to do the work himself and is not sure if the residual value would make it worthwhile spending much money on it?

Does anyone know of a good enthusiast, workshop/garage in the Paignton, Tor Bay area, whom he could contact to get an idea of costs?

Thanks for any feedback, Colin Barrett
    (PM, or MSG via Facebook, thanks)
    Last edited by kahawi; 03-08-21, 11:05 AM. Reason: added a comma
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Re: 20 years in storage, owner would like some advice/help to restore

Could be worth checking with the local College. They might be willing to take it on as a student project for the mechanics for the cost of parts?

Comment

Surely that’ll be a very early MK1?
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Might be of interest to the gentleman ? Have bought a Cabrio from Kingsteignton, which is just up the road. Been standing for 10 years, last 18 months outside, mainly in bits !
        Advice and suggestions as follows:- If you can drive it you can fix it but make life easy ! Buy a decent 2 ton trolley jack and four axle stands. Assuming you have a decent socket set (chrome vanadium) get a good length Tee handle to get leverage also and a can of Plus Gas. Keep a list of specifications of the various components as you dismantle as identifying replacements/rebuild kits will be a possible problem.
        If you have corrosion problems you have three friends ! A 4" angle grinder with wire cup brush ( not much gets left behind ), battery charger electrolysis bucket and a compressor/grit blast gun (wicked !)
        I suspect there will be two problem areas; engine, (take off starter and lever ring gear with large screwdriver) if seized remove and rebuild. (I, of course, sold my engine crane the month before but found a £30 chain hoist and three long lengths timber from Mr Wickes easier !) Assumed rubber brake seals would degrade but in fact in surprisingly good condition but after 20 years would have to be done; rear brake cylinder probably cheaper and easier to replace. Could not find anyone who could talk sense about front callipers so bought seal set and am rebuilding. Much easier than I thought and they are designed to seal between the new O rings and new pistons so virtually fool proof ? Brake master cylinder, not an easy rebuild so replace. Take wheels to local second hand tyre man and get a complete replacement outfit. Tyres suspect after 10 years so 20 ? If inside damp or musty put a dehumidifier in for a few hours. I am concentrating on corrosion as it was just beginning to get a hold and the Cabrio frame is a little on the thin side.
        The last job will be electrics which will be interesting. Put a length of solder in series with the positive terminal just in case ! Take it one step at a time, sleep on problems if they occur and do not tear everything to pieces ! Enjoy !!!

Comment

Working...
        X