Spare wheel mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare wheel mount

I noticed some splitting of the fibreglass on my Sportster spare wheel mount, a couple of pics from under it and it’s obvious the steel bar holding the wheel bolts is pulling through. Does anyone have a better mount, I’m guessing something circular and at least 20cm in diameter would be far better. See pics. Also, what are the two dimples for?
    Attached Files
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Spare wheel mount

Answered the part about the dimples on FB but I'll dupe here as stuff vanishes quickly on there and someone may look at this in the future. I would say the dimples are to hold the tyre away from the moulding so that water can drain away if you don't use a spare wheel cover.

Comment

Don't push/pull it using the spare wheel as a hand hold....likewise the nose cowl

Don't ask how I found out !

DC

Comment

Suggestion on FB for a 9” steel disc but that’s 1kg+ and not sure that’ll be good hanging from the underside of the tail. Will go with ply I think, that’ll be strong, spread the load but not too heavy.
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I have used a spare alloy wheel spacer to spread the load over the fibreglass.
          John

Comment

Originally posted by John_Mulvaney View Post
            I have used a spare alloy wheel spacer to spread the load over the fibreglass.
            John
            That's a really good idea, but I gave the ones I had away, doh! Will have to search eBay.

Comment

Working...
            X