Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine and gearbox mounts

Hi All,

Having sorted through all my lockdown jobs my LWB Roadster sailed through it's MoT last week.

However, having mentioned a dreadful noise on hard braking, I learnt that the rubber mounts were all so soft that the plastic fan blade had partially shredded itself on the steering rack fittings! Should really have realised this myself!

I note this has been mentioned by others in the past.

I was advised to source some new mounts, preferably polyurethane. Unfortunately Superflex don't supply these.

Can anyone advise on a source of new mounts, polyurethane or otherwise?

Thanks,

Matthew

Re: Engine and gearbox mounts

Which engine ?

Comment

1.8 TC
      Has a 7 blade yellow fan (now pared down!)

Comment

Think build manual suggests Land rover mounts - will dig it out and check!

Comment

Checked the build manual and land rover mounts suggested for 1.8 SC. It then goes on to say that for the 1.8TC an additional offside mount is required .
          Hopefully someone else can explain that as I'm not conversant with installing the 1.8 engine.

Comment

Have sent a PM, hope it helps. Alan

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
              Checked the build manual and land rover mounts suggested for 1.8 SC. It then goes on to say that for the 1.8TC an additional offside mount is required .
              Hopefully someone else can explain that as I'm not conversant with installing the 1.8 engine.

I think the idea was to use 2 offside mounts as the nearside one was too flexible and allowed the engine to move arround to much. They do appear on Ebay from time to time at a price that isn't nice.
              The suggested Landrover alternative was to lower the engine a little in the case of the single carb version where it's position would have meant it fouling the bonnet. But no reason why you shouldn't use the landrover mounts on the TC version. With Landrover's popularity they are far more common and reasonably priced. That's probably what I will use on my re-build. It does mean redrilling the engine mount I understand but that's no real hardship if the engine is out. May not be quite so easy with the engine still in position!

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Hi All

I've fitted Land Rover mounts to my 1.8 TC Roadster mainly to lower the engine and I also made a new shorter engine mounting bracket for the offside to throw the engine over abount an inch to clear the pancake air filters on the nearside. I also fitted the same engine mount to the gearbox tail on a manufactured bolt-on cross brace under the floor for the rear end of the Marina Gearbox. Refurbishment of Q285 AVO about 85% complete but my mojo seems to have deserted me at the moment with regards to this car anyway, I'm in a bit of a quandary with the Cabrio hood the velcro has become ineffective so won't hold the hood in place above the doors. It looks like the hood will have to come off to get new velcro loop sewn in and also find more positive way to retain that floating centre bar. My rear tyres are also feathering off severely and it looks like I'm going to have to shim the rear hubs to try and improve/correct it.

Regards to All

Mick.

Comment

Hi Mick
                  personally I would forget about the centre bar, you don't need it in place when driving. As for the velcro above the door glass, it is in my experience something that seems to require frequent attention. you could maybe introduce some durable dot fasteners instead - not as neat maybe but could solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewg View Post
                    Hi All,

Having sorted through all my lockdown jobs my LWB Roadster sailed through it's MoT last week.

However, having mentioned a dreadful noise on hard braking, I learnt that the rubber mounts were all so soft that the plastic fan blade had partially shredded itself on the steering rack fittings! Should really have realised this myself!

I note this has been mentioned by others in the past.

I was advised to source some new mounts, preferably polyurethane. Unfortunately Superflex don't supply these.

Can anyone advise on a source of new mounts, polyurethane or otherwise?

Thanks,

Matthew
                    Thst was probably my advice. I knew about the potential of fa blades moving under load but only experienced it on a roadster when investigating overheating issues.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Soon after finishing my Mk2 I shredded the fan doing an emergency stop. Problem solved by altering the gearbox mount to use a Triumph Dolomite block.dolomite gearbox mount.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X