New to Kit Cars, so bought two....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to Kit Cars, so bought two....

A servo maybe? Kit car wiring can be fun for the second owner, my Roadster had the loom stuffed behind the dash and I ended up cutting a couple of feet off every wire. One at a time, to make sure they joined up right. At least yours look as if they were marked. At this rate, you will be back on the road by the weekend!

Comment

Girling super vac brake servo, something like this:

servo.jpg

This is in a Marina but gives you the idea:

marina engine bay.jpg

Might be a challenge to find one in good working order.
      Last edited by jon_wilkinson; 17-08-21, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Managed to get a few hours the weekend to add a MGB indicator stalk and complete the wiring for Headlights, indicators and horn.
        Added Main beam warning and indicator tell tales on the dash.

Spent a small fortune on Ebay and have lots of little bits heading my way.

Next big job is the brakes, thanks guys for the pictures of what the missing servo should look like.
        I'm going to dismantle the existing servo delete kit and see what i need to do to get the brakes to work.
        Good news is its a single pipe system so as simple as it can get ( I like simple).
        there should be at least one MGBGTV8 master cylinder in the shed so might look to rigging that up, once I have a pedal with more than 2mm of travel and that moves the pads/shoes I'll consider adding a remote servo, but with no weight in the car, it shouldn't need one.

Comment

When my Roadster servo was working, the brakes were ferocious. Now it is disconnected they are still good. With a good push, they will lock up. With the servo, the front would lock up very easily I was thinking of putting a limiter on the front brakes to stop that happening. Just disconnecting the servo vacuum pipe did it instead.

Comment

Another weekend and I'm still going through the boxes of bits included with the cars.
            Unfolding this pile of stuff, resulted in three roofs, six doors and two rain covers, all of various condition from brand new to very tired and "crispy"
            IMG_9913Crop.jpg

Working out which set was from which car we got this
            IMG_9992.jpg

Surely this gap cant be correct?
            IMG_9993.jpg
            It needs a good clean and re-blacking plus sealing, but the roof isn't too bad.
            I have also had my little helper giving me a hand all weekend
            IMG_9990.jpg

Also started trying to do something about the paint, so far its been sanded with 1200 grit
            IMG_9991.jpg
            Next will be 1800 grit and a machine cut and polish.
            Polishing machine is a new toy, never used one before.
            Can anyone recommend a fast cut compound to use after sanding?

Comment

Working...
            X