Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas ?

Hi
    The steering on my Cabrio does not seem to centre when you go round a corner if you let go of the steering wheel it just keeps going round the corner and does return to the straight ........Any ideas please ??
    I wonder if I increased the toe in it would make any difference .
    Thank you for your comments in advance
    Nigel

Re: Any ideas ?

They were never noted for their self centering unfortunately

Comment

Failing to self centre is quite dangerous, and would be a fail for IVA. Toe in is usually set to Sierra value of 2mm +/- 1mm. Check that first, most tyre places check for free, and only charge for adjusting. If the tracking is out, the tyres may show uneven wear. Also make sure the pressures are all equal, I usually run at 22psi all round (Sierra is 26psi unloaded), but I have heard of folks running happily with less. The Cabrio is of course lighter than a Sierra. It makes little difference which engine is in the Cabrio, as they all weigh pretty much the same, Rover V8 and BMW being aluminium, and Ford Pinto cast iron block. Even an MGB engine is similar weight. The self centreing is dependant on some complicated geometry around the pivot points and perceived contact point of the tyre. I tried to discuss this with Mark Matthews at one time, but he did not appear to appreciate what I was saying. As the Cabrio design predates his involvement, I am confident Paul Moorehouse knew what was required. Having said that, the self centreing is never as strong as a production car. Hope that helps! Dave

Comment

Originally posted by NigelBush View Post
        Hi
        The steering on my Cabrio does not seem to centre when you go round a corner if you let go of the steering wheel it just keeps going round the corner and does return to the straight ........Any ideas please ??
        I wonder if I increased the toe in it would make any difference .
        Thank you for your comments in advance
        Nigel
        Need more information! Has the problem gradually got worse or has it suddenly occurred? Have you changed anything wheels, tyres etc before it happened? Have you worked on or replaced any other steering components recently? Does it get worse or better when you drive it for a few miles?
        My first guess would be a dry track rod end, or both, as I have just had the same problem with my Hunter.

Comment

thank you for your response

Comment

Thanks Dave I will give all that a try I only became aware of the problem because it failed the IVA . I have not driven it anywhere yet so the tyres are brand new . i might sneek a drive up the road in the moonlight !

Comment

Thanks Pete I think you might be right
              Most of the steering is brand new its not been on the road yet and I only became aware of the problem because the car failed the IVA test
              on this ( and a number of other things !)
              I will try to free the joints up a bit ,it has been standing around for a while . Thank you for your help Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by NigelBush View Post
                Thanks Pete I think you might be right
                Most of the steering is brand new its not been on the road yet and I only became aware of the problem because the car failed the IVA test
                on this ( and a number of other things !)
                I will try to free the joints up a bit ,it has been standing around for a while . Thank you for your help Nigel
                My TR ends were fairly new too but the car had stood without use during the lockdowns. I have fitted grease nipples to the bottom of the ball joints on both the track rod ends and the Track Control Arms. The latter are the Compbrake adjustable ones. I thought that the heat from welding in the adjusters may have dried the grease. I used 1/4” UNF x 28tpi 45degree nipples to allow greasing without removing the wheels. I use Land Rover one shot CV grease which is moly and fairly runny so it gets into all the areas that matter. The steering is now light and self centres as before. A side benefit that I noticed is that the suspension is now softer and the ride less harsh, as those joints also go up and down as well as turning!

Photo below shows first fit with straight nipples before I sourced the angled ones. BTW the jubilee clip is to clamp the Tifosi dust boot that I use to keep the threads and locknut free from the ravages of road dirt!
                Peter.
                Attached Files

Comment

oh thank you again Peter
                  I will go and have a look at those first
                  Nigel

Comment

Its interesting how the same cars vary in the way they handle. My old Marina based Roadster needed 'assistance' to self centre whereas my Cabrio self centres very well. In my opinion, one little test that can be helpful is with the steering lock off turn the wheel through a few degrees so you see the front wheel just start to move. Then release the wheel and it should spring back to more or less its original position. If it doesn't do that it would suggest some stiffness in the top or bottom ball joints or the rack itself. If it doesn't spring back the problem may be more to do with the steering geometry.

Comment

There is a lot about steering geometry in this, rather long, thread:

And a little to scare you!

The standard Sierra set up has no adjustment for caster angle. The Cabrio usually has extra washers on the wishbone mounting that can make a very small difference. The adjustment of ride height can also alter both camber and caster angles – both of which will affect centring.

The manual also mentions “check that you have the steering arms facing forward”. I think the wishbones are symmetrical and the same on both sides so I am not too sure what this means.

Centring is important for safety and driving enjoyment so it is worth getting it right now. I know that harder tyres will improve centring – but this can only be a temporary bodge.
                      Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X