Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel pump and ignition circuit fuse blowing on mu Cabrio. Help!

1. #11 Re: Fuel pump and ignition circuit fuse blowing on mu Cabrio. Help! 
    club member Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    Cut out switch is a very good idea. I got mine from Car Builder solutions.
    However it is most unlikely to be causing the fuse to blow.
    Unfortuantely I would hazard a guess that either the fuel pump has a fault or you have a chaffed wire that is causing an intermittant short.
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 170bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

2. #12 Re: Fuel pump and ignition circuit fuse blowing on mu Cabrio. Help! 
    club member Club Member philmcgrath's Avatar
    I have the same switch on my Cabrio which has Ford DOHC engine but mine is mounted in the boot.

3. #13 Re: Fuel pump and ignition circuit fuse blowing on mu Cabrio. Help! 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi Peter
    Some of the early Ford fuel pumps were prone to failing which is from the same era of the Sierra Pump.

The main cause was people driving continually low on fuel and particularly this problem worsened on a hot day.
    The fuel pump relies on the fuel itself for lubrication & cooling.

If your stuck in a traffic jam , you will often hear the fuel pumps of other cars buzzing away because of this phenomenon.

I would recommend removing the pump from the tank and checking that the mesh filter isn't clogged and before doing that you could also measure the current draw of that pump whilst its still fitted in the tank.

When was the fuel filter last changed?

My line of thought is if that's partially blocked that could be putting a strain on the pump.

If your engine has the DIS ignition system with a crank sensor , then also check the crank sensor wiring.

All Fords had a fuel pump relay and I would expect it to be present , have you looked for the relay up behind the dash, perhaps the contacts where it plugs in have been arcing causing the fuse to blow?

If you need a new pump the cheapest place for a replacement will be to call Terry at Glenco, as he is the wholesaler supplying everybody else.
    https://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/
    Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 25-08-2021 at 09:23 AM.

4. #14 Re: Fuel pump and ignition circuit fuse blowing on mu Cabrio. Help! 
    Moderator Club Member
    Hi Peter
    I've been trawling the archives on this and came up with the following. Look under 'fuel pump relay' posted 29/07 /2014 , some interesting stuff there by PhilCoyle regarding activation of the relay . There is also a post by myself on a not dissimilar problem I had with my BMW powered Cabrio.

5. #15 Re: Fuel pump and ignition circuit fuse blowing on mu Cabrio. Help! 
    club member Club Member
    Thanks everyone for your info and advice.
    I will have a lot to do chasing down your suggestions.
    I get the feeling that progressive replacement of parts on the pump/ignition circuit will be the way foreward as it is an intermittent fault, so when it disappears it might not be because of my action!
    I will start with replacing relays (cheap) and fuel pump (common things are common and it is now getting old, 28 yrs and 60k miles)
    I will let you know how it goes
    Best wishes
    Peter

6. #16 Re: Fuel pump and ignition circuit fuse blowing on mu Cabrio. Help! 
    club member Club Member
    I am no mechanic, but if it happened in wet weather and OK in dry, there may be wet affecting a relay or other part, especially if it blew a lot of fuses. Liz