Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type 9 Gearbox Issue

Sod's Law strikes..!

The car has been running so well recently that I decided to address the slightly notchy Type 9 gearbox by treating it to an oil change, using BGH recommended Comma semi-synth to see if that improved the change quality (the box is an Autogear recon item with less than 10k on it).

With no drain plug and the filler inaccessible I just have room to remove the tunnel top and gearbox cover...using a siphon the old oil was successfully removed and fresh added.

Now came the crunch...somewhere during the process the selector locking plate (the horseshoe shaped plate that locates around the selector rod and secured by the top cover) managed to slip off the selector boss and I cannot figure out how it can be persuaded to go back into place (nor for that matter how it managed to come away)...without it correctly located I can't refit the top cover.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you resolve it...? Much patient jiggling has been tried, so far to no avail, and I'm loathe to drop the box if it can be avoided. Mr Haynes & Google have not so far proved particularly helpful.

Thanks,

Jez
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Re: Type 9 Gearbox Issue

Would you Adam & Eve it...5 minutes after posting the above I went back to give it a final "wiggle" before giving up for the day and it slid back into place perfectly, so now for reassembly & road-test.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Sodde's Law indeed (but eventual good news)

See you at the weekend ?

Rgds DC

Comment

Top tip. Many gearboxes don’t have drain plugs.
        The Type 9 can be substantially drained if you drop the gearbox support so that it’s tail can be lowered whilst watching exhaust pipe and wiring for excessive movement, then detaching the propshaft and pulling the Ford UJ out of the box to let the oil runout,
        Have a look at the oil seal if it’s an old box, yiu don’t want to leave a trail down the road for motorcyclists to find.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
        X