Wrong Battery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Battery??

My Cabrio has the 2 litre 8V DOHC engine and ever since I bought it about 8 years ago it has always been sluggish to turn over. Over the years I have checked/replaced everything in the starting system but to no avail. I took the 2 year old battery to my local auto electrician again to be checked and he confirmed it was in tip top condition but commented that it was a bit small for the 2 litre engine. The battery is the 063 size with a spec of 41Ah and 390A max cranking current. A little checking on line confirmed that the correct battery for a 2 litre Sierra is the 075 size with around 60Ah and 540A cranking current. The 063 size would be ok for a Fiesta or similar.

Quite a few Cabrios have the same engine so I would be curious to know what size batteries you have fitted. As it stands I couldn't fit a bigger one unless I move the fuse box.

Re: Wrong Battery??

Have you tried Odyssey batteries?

Adrian

Comment

Hi Geoff
      The one I'm currently using for my V6 engine is a Halfords HCB 075 with a 540 amp cranking capacity. It measures 245 length, 173mm height and 172 mm depth at it's maximum .
      I also have a Yuasa YBX5063 that I keep as spare which is 520 amp cranking capacity , 52 amp /hr. That one measures 205 mm length but has same depth /height. That one was supplied by Tayna Batteries and used to fire up my old BMW powered Cabrio 2.5litre

Comment

Is your engine standard tune? I have a pinto running 10.5:1 compression ratio and whilst building it the advice I gathered from more than one source suggested that the standard starter motor would not be up to the job. I fitted a geared hi-torque starter (quite reasonable from Andy's Autoparts: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302485523...QAAOSwJaBgdss4 - check your model etc) and I am using an 038 battery without issues. I never tried out a standard starter so I cannot claim to have carried a before and after trial however I do wonder if the standard starter is on it's limit for standard engines.

Dave

Comment

Thanks all,

Adrian, I have looked at the Odyssey batteries but they all seem to big for the space I have available. I have contacted them to see if they do a 063 size battery.

Dogon, the Yuasa battery looks ideal in that it is the same size as mine but with a higher Ah and significantly higher cranking current which is what I really need.

Dave, as far as I know my engine is in standard tune but I did wonder about the starter motor. However, on the occasions when I've had to jump start the car, the starter motor spins the engine over very well so I think it's ok.

Comment

Hi Geoff.

Apologies for not reading your post carefully - my answer relates to a different engine. A friend of mine has the DOHC in his JBA Falcon and he had similar problems. He went through everything before replacing the battery. The problem was resolved for a week or two and then returned. Eventually the issue was tracked down to non-exitant brushes in the starter motor.

Dave

Comment

I think your problem lies, not with battery capacity, but with its CCA (cold cranking amps) capability. That is ultimately what will determine how fast the starter motor will turn over the engine.
              In general CCA is related to battery capacity and hence physical size. But a bit of searching may find you a battery with a higher CCA with the same capacity and hence size.
              Some of the batteries intended for motorsport might do the trick. But I think it will cost.....

Cheers, Robin

Comment

As stated above , the Yuasa battery has a CCA of 520 which is quite a bit more than the battery Geoff has installed at present, and it's physically the same size.
                As the Cabrio responds well to a jump start I don't think the starter or the brushes can be suspect.

Comment

Thanks again for all your inputs. I shall be ordering the above Yuasa battery forthwith. I'll feedback the result at a later date.

Geoff

Comment

My 2L Zetec uses the old Sierra starter motor. My Battery is Yuasa Silverline 5000 HSB 075 12V 60A 620A. Its physical dimensions are approximately L24 W18 H18cm. It works ok. I think my alternator could be beefier it struggles with light and wipers running.

It was £105 from horrible Halfords April 2017.

Bit late but I hope it confirms your choice.
                    Paul
                    Last edited by milliemarlin; 22-09-21, 08:21 AM. Reason: Added price

Comment

Well!
                      I've got a budget Drivetech battery (whoever they are) which is rated at 40AH and 330CC.
                      It worked OK for the DOHC Sierra engine, and using the same starter motor with the Zetec engine works OK too.
                      I did have an issue of poor starting in cold weather, and finally traced it to the engine to battery earth cable, which is now replaced with two cables running straight from the battery to the engine.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't fit the 24cm long battery in my car without significant changes like moving the fusebox. I'm hoping the 21cm long battery with its higher cranking current will improve things. I already replaced the earth lead with a new thicker one and doubled up on the positive lead to the starter solenoid. The starter motor was checked not too long ago and I don't think its gone faulty because it spins the engine over very well on the occasions when I've needed a jump start. Fingers crossed the higher performance battery works!!

Comment

Working...
                        X