Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum brake retaining screw - thread size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum brake retaining screw - thread size?

Does anyone know the thread size for the drum brake retaining screws?
    Somewhere in the back of my mind I have a feeling it is something odd like a BA thread....

Cheers, Robin

Re: Drum brake retaining screw - thread size?

Order your Setscrew Countersunk Slot Drive 1/4 UNF x 3/8" - V5435 ⛽ Low prices and fast, worldwide delivery ✈ British car experts ♚ Call ☎ 01522 568000 or ☎ 1-855-746-2767

Comment

With four, or five ½” high-tensile studs and nuts holding the wheel to the drum and the drum to the hub, does anyone know what purpose these tiny screws actually serve?

Colin B
      Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

Originally posted by kahawi View Post
        With four, or five ½” high-tensile studs and nuts holding the wheel to the drum and the drum to the hub, does anyone know what purpose these tiny screws actually serve?

Colin B
        Useful during maintenance of brakes before the wheels are bolted on.

BEWARE

Standard countersunk screws have deeper heads than the proper ones from Rimmer Bros meaning that whilst wheelnuts are torqued up evenly, the head of the screw can act as a pivot point. Not too bad with steel wheels but with alloys the head will force itself into the alloy and can easy lead to a loose wheel and broken studs.

Ask me how I know?
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

OK - thanks guys.
          FYI the thread size is 1/4" UNF. But if they have special "lower" heads maybe I'll have to bite the bullit and get some from Rimmer Bros.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Working...
          X