Marina water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina water pump

I am changing the water pump on my 1300 Marina engine. The first bolt snapped at the head and the second began to destroy its head. The other 2 are also tIght so I stopped in case they snapped off flush with the block. I suspect this is the original 45 year old pump. There is hardly any way for penetrating oil to get to the threads through the gasket between the pump and the block so what to do next? The question is, are the bolts seized to the aluminium casting or to the block?
    I think I may be able to get a small grinding wheel in a flexible drive on to the bolt heads and then persuade the pump to come off. Or, more drastically, I could destroy the pump first with angle grinder/cold chisel/drill etc. I don’t want to end up having to dismantle the front of the car in order to drift broken studs out. Any advice gratefully received.
    Franklin, Leicester

Re: Marina water pump

I think the usual advice is the application of heat. However, not a job I've done so I'll let others comment from actual experience.

Comment

Removing the nuts from the studs (hacksaw downwards?) will give a chance for penetrating oil to help with removal of pump housing, then great patience for it to work.

Once the pump is off more penetrating oil around the studs might help, then careful mole grip to remove, and as Jon says heat will help in both areas

Good luck !

Comment

Good try Dave, but there aren’t any nuts, the pump is held on by bolts into the block. I agree, heat will eventually come into it.
        Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Heat the area around the bolts, the alloy should expand more than the bolt then soak with penetrating oil. With luck it'll penetrate

Comment

The memsahib wasn’t too chuffed with the blowlamp idea so I used plan C. I gave the pump casting a few good wacks with a drift and big hammer near the bolt holes in the hope that it might break the corrosion then took the socket to the 3 remaining bolts. 2 gave up with a struggle but the last one broke at the bolt head. Having winkled the pump off I am left with 2 broken studs to see to. I have given them a good spray with penetrating oil and will do again for a day or 2 before trying to extract them.
            Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeicester View Post
              The memsahib wasn’t too chuffed with the blowlamp idea so I used plan C. I gave the pump casting a few good wacks with a drift and big hammer near the bolt holes in the hope that it might break the corrosion then took the socket to the 3 remaining bolts. 2 gave up with a struggle but the last one broke at the bolt head. Having winkled the pump off I am left with 2 broken studs to see to. I have given them a good spray with penetrating oil and will do again for a day or 2 before trying to extract them.
              A good penetrating oil like PlusGas should help all the timethere is something to grip hold of. WD40 is not a penetrating oil.
              Patience is the best solution.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi
                As one of the inlet manifold studs has broken on my DOHC (aluminium block) I have decided to hammer a hex nut on the remains of the stud and then weld it on (inside the nut). The heat worked and there was no more problem removing it with a spanner.
                Regards
                Roman
                Last edited by romeks44; 05-10-21, 04:40 AM.

Comment

The penetrating oil worked, the 2 broken studs gave up to the mole wrench without a fight so the seizure must have been between the steel bolt and the aluminium casting. Thanks for all the suggestions.
                  Franklin, Leicester

Comment

A can of Soudal's Degrip All is excellent for this sort of job too.

Comment

Working...
                    X