Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Proximity of handbrake cable to rear dampers

1. #11 Re: Proximity of handbrake cable to rear dampers 
    club member Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_cox View Post
    Hi Robin
    I think your top damper brackets are the wrong way around. The build manual states the damper mounting holes should be closer to the outside as per the photo posted by dcunn above in post #4.
    please double check.

My original suggestion to DCunn was fitting the bolt from the front to make changing the shock easier.
    but jon you are mistaken DC top brackets are the wrong way round.
    Top mount should be inboard following a natural angle from the bottom plate.
    Last edited by b_caswell; 13-10-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

2. #12 Re: Proximity of handbrake cable to rear dampers 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b_caswell View Post
    My original suggestion to DCunn was fitting the bolt from the front to make changing the shock easier.
    but jon you are mistaken DC top brackets are the wrong way round.

Ha - interesting. That's why I fitted mine inboard. But I checked the manual and it does indeed indicate they should be the other way round. I don't suppose it makes a terrific amount of difference either way.

Cheers, Robin

3. #13 Re: Proximity of handbrake cable to rear dampers 
    club member Club Member jon_cox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_caswell View Post
    but jon you are incorrect DC top brackets are the wrong way round.
    Interesting debate. I actually agree with you Ben and I believe this is the way they were fitted when on the original Marina / Ital donor car.
    I was merely pointing out that the Later Marlin Roadster build manual suggests that they are fitted as per DC's picture. Maybe, the fact that the lower damper mounting plates have been swapped from side to side to position the dampers rearward of the axle (which incidentally is the reason the handbrake cable is so close as per the original topic of this thread) has altered the geometry slightly prompting Marlin / YKC to suggest the change in orientation?
    I love the world of home built cars....

Shock mounting.JPG
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

4. #14 Re: Proximity of handbrake cable to rear dampers 
    FWIW - and as far as my aged grey cells can remember, those brackets had large and smaller bolts so could only ever have been
    fitted the way they were.......unimportant anyway in the overall build.

5. #15 Re: Proximity of handbrake cable to rear dampers 
    club member Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_cox View Post
    Interesting debate. I actually agree with you Ben and I believe this is the way they were fitted when on the original Marina / Ital donor car.
    I was merely pointing out that the Later Marlin Roadster build manual suggests that they are fitted as per DC's picture. Maybe, the fact that the lower damper mounting plates have been swapped from side to side to position the dampers rearward of the axle (which incidentally is the reason the handbrake cable is so close as per the original topic of this thread) has altered the geometry slightly prompting Marlin / YKC to suggest the change in orientation?
    I love the world of home built cars....

Shock mounting.JPG
    my build manual didn't mention that
    Attached Images
    Last edited by b_caswell; 13-10-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!