X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Reinforcement

Ahoy !
    I assume the problem has occurred before but has anyone any suggestions to reinforce the seat mountings ?
    My rear holes (!) have been pulled through and the front have strips of 50 x 6 mm steel which as they are rusty
    I suspect are a mod. They also seem not to do much. I would have thought something tied into the chassis and transmission tunnel would be better ?

Re: Seat Reinforcement

Well it is a bit hard to describe, and impossible to photograph, but here goes describing what I did when I fitted my seats:
    The seat runners are mounted on a length of 1x1 steel box section tube. The bolts go through the runners, box section and floor. The underneath I have used the largest penny washers I could find under the nuts to spread the load.
    Inside across the floor I put two pieces of angle iron just in front and just behind the steel tube. The angle iron is the full width of the floor and is bolted at the extreme edges through the floor and through the lip of the chassis. A couple more bolts go through the angle iron and floor.
    I had occasion to remove the driver’s seat this summer to fit a new quadrant to the clutch pedal and there was no sign of any cracking around the mounting area.

Comment

On my Roadster, I made wedges 1/2" to 2" to go under both the seats, tipping them back by 2". I then fastened 'strap tee' hinges to the driver's seat, which means I can tip it forward to access behind it. The passenger's seat is through bolted to the floor. Actually, it has been removed so my dog has more room. I have room for one dog or one passenger, not both!

Comment

Thanks for ideas. I sat and thought through the actual loads encountered and came up with the solution consisting of 10mm ply rectangles 3" bigger than the frame footprint to take downwards loads resting on the chassis and tunnel lips and a strip of 1" angle across the front but underneath the front of the drivers to take the braking load. All put back together now and solid. Think the original design a bit weak ?

Comment

Working...
        X