Strip down help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strip down help

So, started the strip down today of my berlinetta to go back to the beginning and start again as there is so much thats just not right, so far i have all the forward panels and wings / running boards off and was pretty straight forward and only a few missing knuckles and blasphemous words,
    As there is no such thing as a Haynes manual for these I'm left wondering how the front scuttle panel / upper bulkhead comes off and then the dash board, also does anyone know where can get a cortina wiring loom ? as the previous owner chopped it out and removed it.

Re: Strip down help

A Berlinetta build manual is downloadable from the members section on this site

Comment

I have the original build manual but it doesn't cover this area in detail.

Comment

The dashboard is fixed to a glassfibre moulding that is in turn fixed to the scuttle. The dashboard top is two plywood pieces fixed to this moulding.
        So first remove the top then the dash itself. How these parts are fixed depends on the original builder but usually the tops are fixed by screws from underneath. To remove the scuttle you will need to remove the windscreen first. Then the scuttle is bolted at various points and should lift off. Of course the wipers, heater and dashboard wiring will have to be dealt with.

If you look in the build diary section of this forum for Berlinetta build and restoration, you will see the story of my original build and subsequent strip down and rebuild of my Berlinetta. This has many pictures which you might find handy.

Comment

That write up.is amazing and ive only had a scan through so far, thankyou so much for pointing me in the right direction, im a little nervous about taking the screen out now though.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. My car is obviously Sierra based and so the suspension is different, but the rest is the same. Maybe you could do a rebuild diary?

You mention the windscreen, I suggest if you remove any glass that you make a template of each piece by drawing around it onto hardboard or something. Then if you ever need a replacement cut it should make it a lot easier, that's what I did although I hope I never need it!

Comment

I will be taking plenty of pictures on the way down and back up including any niggles which I will possible write up once done or hit any stumbling blocks along the way

Comment

Working...
              X