Steering column position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering column position

One of the worse things IMHO, aesthetically and ergonomically, about the Marina roadster is the way the steering column sits through the dashboard and the resulting rather vertical orientation of the steering wheel. On the Triumph based roadster the column emerged below the dashboard and the steering wheel was at a more rakish angle. I understand that, on the Marina roadster, this is rather dictated by the high position of the steering rack but has anybody come up with a solution to mount the steering column in a better position? As always, pictures tell a 1000 words....

As a little bit of side information, when I dismantled DRL152K I discovered the steering column was mounted using a large wooden block as a spacer! Amazing what you could get away with 40 years ago!

Cheers, Robin

Re: Steering column position

Here (NZ) you are NOT permitted to weld steering parts
    The Marlin steering column was a complete NO here

I'm not quite on the road yet!

I used a Subaru column - which has the crush structure built in - then some Hot Rod coupling with a double D bar - I did rotate the Marina rack a bit
    Attached Files

Comment

I owned Geoff Grumbles Alfa powered Roadster which he fitted a Ford Capri column too in order that the shaft ran under the twin Dellorto's. It emerged just under the two master cylinders through the hole already in the alloy ? support. Still retained the Marina steering rack.

Comment

Thank-you Duncan. That's exactly the sort of arrangement I was thinking about. Good tip about rotating the rack slightly (so the UJ runs at a better angle I guess). How did you do that exactly? - it has locating flanges on it as I recall.

Cheers, Robin

PS- I have workshop envy :-)

Comment

The rack has cast flanges - I simply cut and filed them down a bit so that I could rotate the rack a bit and still use the mounting points
          My "Certifier" was happy about me doing that - he suggested it!

The advantage of living here is lots of space so you can build a decent Shed

The two post hoist - a local company imports them - they are unbelievably cheap - $2,500 - about 1200 pounds
          When I went to pick mine up there was a que of cars with trailers - to get their hoists !

Comment

Robin, I have got some photos for you of my slight modification that may help you. Despite good advice from an expert I’m still too dumb to post photos on the forum, my fault not the sites! Email me if you would like to see them. My email address is in Pitstop under SEMS meets. Franklin Woodcock.
            Franklin, Leicester

Comment

...........and I hope he won't shout at me, but here are Franklins pix !
              I will let him put the words in
              Attached Files

Comment

As you now know Dave Cunnington was the source of the good advice and you can see the pics. Thanks DC. All I did was space the column further down in the mounting frame. If it is possible to undo the frame from the bulkhead and raise it up then the column could be raised further to increase the angle of the column and thus give a better wheel angle. Short of major surgery this is all we can do. Look at the state of my wiring etc! I am constantly fettling and maintaining my car for constant use so no apologies for tatty cosmetics.
                Last edited by FranklinLeicester; 22-11-21, 07:26 AM. Reason: Unfinished
                Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Franklin, thank you for your 'tatty cosmetics'. At last, I know that my electrics aren't the only ones in a state of 'constant development'! I like the angle of the Marina steering wheel.

Comment

Thanks for the info and pictures.
                    I have mocked up my new steering "arrangement" using a combination of a Triumph upper and lower column and the old Marina lower column as modified by Marlin. I'll post some pictures later.
                    Conviniently the Triumph column diameter and splines are the same as that used on the Marina.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Working...
                    X